Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #26
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,122 Posts
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

...continued

12:15 PM:

It looks like the Leafs will be starting Jonas Gustavsson in net tonight.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

12:07 PM:
The Maple Leafs are finishing their morning skate at CONSOL Energy Center. Here are some pics courtesy of T-Bone:

Former Pens Colby Armstrong (left) and Mike Zigomanis (right)

But we must stand back in awe and admire the unbelievable fu-manchu below. Mike Brown gets an A+

12:01 PM:
Defenseman Andrew Hutchinson was recalled to Pittsburgh Tuesday and will make his Penguins debut against the Leafs. Hutchinson had a big opening game for WBS, posting two points (1G-1A) in a 3-2 win over two-time defending Calder Cup champion Hersehy.

Here is what the offensively gifted blueliner had to say after the morning skate...

On getting recalled early in the season:
I just want to come back and fit in like I did during training camp. I had a good training camp and learned the systems. Thatís all they wanted from me. I just have to get the puck out of our end, make one pass and add some offense.

On coming back up so soon:
I think I have been gone for a week and a half. I basically went for a vacation to eastern Pennsylvania, played a game and now I am back because of the injuries. I just want to come up, show myself at the NHL level and have fun.

On playing the left side:
I played the left side during training camp, so I am comfortable with it. It hasnít been too bad.

On his one game with WBS:
It was very positive. I created a lot of chances. Itís a really good team down there. They play the exact same system down there so it should all be about getting comfortable with a new partner as soon as possible.

11:58 AM:
Sounds heard around the locker room....

Sidney Crosby

On gripping the stick tight:

I think (itís too early). Weíve had some good chances and have been creating a lot. Thatís hockey.

On the teamís defense:
Weíve got a lot of guys who can move the puck and create things. I am not surprised to see that.

On the chemistry between his line:
I think we are used to playing with different guys. We are all three comfortable playing with one another. Weíve gotten used to that. I think it has been OK.

On looking for the first win:
We want to make sure we win. We played a good game last game. Even the two losses we had here we did a lot of good things. We want to get a win (at CONSOL Energy Center). We know that Toronto is playing well.

Marc-Andre Fleury

On the new arena:
The fans have been great following us even in the old rink. It would be great to get a win for them tonight.

On the defense
:
We have great personnel. We have a great bunch of guys. Throughout the preseason and the regular season they have been playing very well.

On his mindset:
I am just trying to make some saves and keep the team in the game.

On the Maple Leafs:
They are a little bit different, but we are going to have our meetings on them (after practice), so we will see what kind of systems they use.

Deryk Engelland

On getting the first win:
That first win in always the hardest one. Hopefully we can keep it going from here.

On his mindset changing with the injuries on D:
I just have to take advantage of the opportunity. Hopefully my minutes go up a little bit. I still have to play my game Ė simple and physical Ė and go from there.

On getting extra minutes following the injuries on Monday:
Going to five D, you donít have much time to think about it. The more time you play, the more comfortable you get.

On the organizationís depth on defense:
No matter who is in the lineup we have a good mix of guys up here and at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. We both use the same system so I think anybody can step in and go from there.

Assist: Jason Seidling

11:45 AM:
Jordan Staal chatted with the media after the Penguins morning skate. Here is what he had to say...

On skating:
It was really nice. It feels good mentally and for the body to get out there, get on the skates and get moving again.

On his timetable:
I never really had a timetable. We never decided on a date. Itís very hard to tell right now. Iím just trying to get comfortable out there and get the feel back of skating.

On if heíll keep skating:
I didnít run into any problems. Hopefully, I can get on the ice everyday and getting back into the swing of things.

On the objective of the skates:

Getting in shape, I havenít done a whole lot throughout the summer. My right leg is not as strong as my left. Iím trying to get my balance back and getting the right leg a lot stronger and quicker.

On being behind:
A lot of guys skated in the summer and a month before training camp. I canít tell how Iím going to be out there. Iím feeling really good and happy to be out there. It was a long summer and Iím feeling good about where things are heading right now.

On if heís skated prior to Wednesday:

I skated two days ago and again today.

On the disappointment of the setback:
Again, itís been a long summer, a lot of ups and downs. I had a lot of good people around me, family and friends to help me through that. It was very difficult, but I made it through.

On watching games:

Itís never easy watching your team play. You want to be out there and a part of the team, and try to help get some wins. Hopefully, they can do it tonight.

11:18 AM:
A few quick notes from Dan Bylsma's post-morning skate media conference:
- Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek will not play Wednesday night against the Leafs. Orpik has a groin strain and is day-to-day. Michalek will be evaluated by doctors later today.
- Mike Comrie, who didn't skate with a line at the morning skate, will be "a game-time decision."

11:15 AM:
The Pens had a special visitor to CONSOL Energy Centet for their Wednesday morning skate. Former Cup-winning 'guin Bill Guerin was in the new house to take in practice. Guerin was not here to rejoin the club. He only came to visit the new rink and say hi to some old friends.

10:55 AM:
Here are some photos from today's morning skate:

10:37 AM:

The Penguins had some new pairings at their Wednesday morning skate. Pascal Dupuis was elevated back to the top line with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz. Mike Comrie did not take part in any line shifts. I'm not sure if that is a sign or not.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis

Tangradi-Letestu-Malkin
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Rupp-Adams-Godard
(Comrie)

The six defensemen rotated in sets of three.

10:29 AM:
Defensemen Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek were not on the ice for Pittsburgh's Wednesday morning skate.

9:40 AM:
There was some big news early Wednesday as Jordan Staal skated at CONSOL Energy Center. Staal has been out of the lineup while recovering from a procedure to cure a foot infection. For more details click here.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365