View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #91
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

So from the report today, all injured players skated today and goalie is a game-time decision.

Penguins Report: Game Day vs. Ottawa
Monday, 10.18.2010 / 9:01 AM/ Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540854&navid=DL|PIT|home

Staal, Asham, Orpik and Michalek skate. Details at 9:04 AM entry
__________________________________________________ ________________________

12:03 PM:
Coachspeak with Dan BylsmaÖ

On who will start in goal Monday night
:
Weíll go game-time (decision).

On his plan for the goaltenders:
You make a plan at the beginning of the year. And every month, you make a plan for the month. And probably every month it gets adjusted. Sometimes itís for different reasons, so weíre not far off the plan that we set up.

On seeing Sergei Gonchar running the Ottawa power play
:
Just watching the video of the Senators, itís weird seeing him and seeing the numbers and seeing him back in his spot. Gonchar played a lot for the Capitals, too. But itís going to be tough to not think heís wearing a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey when we see him out there on the power play. He was a great player for us and he did a lot of great things for us.

On Alex Goligoskiís great start:

Iím not entirely surprised. I was maybe more surprised with last yearís start than this yearís start. But heís got unique skating ability and offensive ability. I think the thing heís done the best this year is playing in a new spot on the power play, because of his smarts and ability to read the power play. I think his shot now is a threat, more than where it was three years ago. He really worked on that hard. You might not have said at the beginning of the year that this guyís got a threat with his shot, but I think now you would. Thatís something heís added to his offense as well.

On the team missing shots
:
We didnít think about it last year when you pointed out that Kris Letang missed a lot of shots. Itís probably more attention to detail and our execution. One thing Iím still getting used to, and itís a little scary out on the ice, is some of the caroms off the boards. Theyíre lively, even on some of the indirects in the neutral zone. There are some lively bounces. It can give you a break or vice versa. Thatís been the one spot during the games that Iíve talked about is those indirects and those hard bounces off the boards. Itís not just behind the goal line.

On Orpikís injury:
I donít have an update on that one. But heís working out and thatís where heís at. And I actually mean day-to-day on this one. So Iím hoping he gets back soon.

On how the team is playing:
I donít think weíve played our best hockey, weíre not taking advantages of some opportunities with the puck. We can get better in that area, with our scoring opportunities. But thatís pretty much been standard through our first six games. I donít think thereís a difference in how weíve played.

On if the team plays more relaxed when Marc-Andre Fleury is in goal:

Maybe I watch the games too closely, but I donít see that. I just look for the details of our game. But our scoring chances against are close to the same. Weíve given up some quality ones where Brent has had to come up with some big saves. Like in Philly, he comes up with a breakaway save. So I donít sense that.

12:00 PM:
The big story of the day is Sergei Gonchar's return to Pittsburgh.

Some other pics...

Former Pen Jarkko Ruutu (left) with a nice shiner

Long-time Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson (left)

11:57 AM:
The Senators forward combos at their skate were:
Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Shannon-Regin-Kovalev
Foligno-Fisher-Winchester
Neil-Kelly-Ruutu

11:05 AM:
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that the starting goalie against the Senators will be a game-time decision.

10:57 AM:

10:50 AM:
The Penguins are holding their annual "Hockey Fights Cancer" game Monday night against Ottawa. Last week, Maxime Talbot, whose mother has battled cancer, visited the Hillman Cancer Center.

10:38 AM:
The Penguins lines at the morning skate Monday (no surprises) were:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Rupp-Letestu/Adams-Godard

Martin-Letang
Goligoski-Lovejoy
Engelland-Hutchinson

10:09 AM:
The Penguins welcome back former teammate Sergei Gonchar for his first return trip to Pittsburgh as a member of the Ottawa Senators. Gonchar's return will be the focal point of the game, but there are a lot of other interesting elements involved. Check out Jason Seidling's game preview for all you need to know about tonight's matchup.

9:04 AM:
The Penguins four injured players are all on the ice. Forwards Jordan Staal and Arron Asham and defensemen Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek all skated at CONSOL Energy Center early Monday morning before the Penguins morning skate.

Brooks Orpik (left); Zbynek Michalek, Arron Asham and Jordan Staal (right)