View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,965 Times in 3,515 Posts
Default Re: What if the Government Ran the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
The post is a joke. It points out a huge problem between the private sector and government. That's why the private sector is much more efficient than the government sector.
So who exactly lives in your "much more efficient" private sector

Lehman Brothers?
General Motors?
Chrysler?
Bear Stearns?
Citigroup?
AIG?

And with regard to the superiority of "the private sector" we all know "government" schoolteachers get as many chances as "private sector" Santonio Holmes to test positive for illegal drugs before getting fired for that conduct, don't we?

And since I am taking a wild guess what your position is on government involvement in health care, here is a quote for you
Nor is there any reason why the state should not assist individuals in providing for those common hazards of life against which, because of their uncertainty, few individuals can make adequate provision. Where, as in the case of sickness and accident, neither the desire to avoid such calamities nor the efforts to overcome their consequences are as a rule weakened by the provision of assistance, where, in short, we deal with genuinely insurable risks, the case for the state helping to organise a comprehensive system of social insurance is very strong. There are many points of detail where those wishing to preserve the competitive system and those wishing to supersede it by something different will disagree on the details of such schemes; and it is possible under the name of social insurance to introduce measures which tend to make competition more or less ineffective. But there is no incompatibility in principle between the state providing greater security in this way and the preservation of individual freedom.
Friedrich August Hayek - The Road To Serfdom

If Hayek did not talk in absolutes consider the possibility "the private sector is much more efficient than the government sector" might be a nice talking point for chatting with Rush, Sean or Savage but is not a one size fits all argument for all occassions, including but not limited to Jeff Reed's situation.

After my experiences arguing politics in the Locker Room during 2008 I have made it a point to stay out of this section of the board since I returned to this site several months ago

But since you wanted to ride your "government is bad/private sector is good" hobby horse into the Steelers section of the board I might as well respond with the hope that anyone wanting to make a political point from the right or the left will take it to the right section.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote