View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Bettis King of Pain

Quote:
I like to watch The Bus," said Csonka. "I like the way he lowers his shoulders. I like the fact that everyone wrote him off, and there he is, picking up the load and running for his team, like I did with the Dolphins in '79." When Csonka picks apart the way Bettis mastered the game, he points to how he wiggles to take a "glancing" blow instead of a head-on hit, or how he ducks low when a linebacker comes high. Csonka admires Bettis so much, he'll be in Canton the day The Bus parks in the Hall.

Bettis says he'll quit when his body tells him it's time to go and he can't help Pittsburgh. Over the last three years, he's suffered excruciating injuries to the hip, groin, knee and shoulder. Perhaps half a dozen concussions every year. He's not sure. He estimates the grind has shaved five years off of his life. Maybe 10. In his mind, every hit brings him a little closer to death, but he's going to keep driving because that's what The Bus does.

"Your ego and your pride don't let you struggle," he said. "You're a big hitter, but it hurts you the same way. I mean, mentally, you're able to get over it because you get used to it. You get used to the feeling of Monday. Struggling. But hey, I'm going to hurt Monday. I'm probably going to hurt Tuesday. You know what? Wednesday, I'm probably not going to feel great. But Thursday, I'm going to feel fine. Friday, I'll be OK. Saturday, I get to rest. And Sunday, I'm going to beat your head in again."

When Czonka gives you that kind of compliment, that says something. Bettis loves contact more than most of your RB's.. he loves to just pound you and pound you in the first half, and then in the second half when the defense is tired, he can make ya miss w/ the best of the big backs. He's the ultimate IMO!!

Damn I wish he wasn't soon ready to retire!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote