View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
That's a good point. I think you are on the money with that. I still think some diversity might bring some excitement and make it more entertaining to watch. Look at what Tiger did for golf. I don't think it was just because he was an awesome player but I think being different than stuffy rich white country club guys made it fun because even when he was really good you sort of saw him as an underdog and it is fun to root for the underdog. If he was some rich white kid who was just really good, he would have had an impact but not the same impact. Before Tiger, most just thought Golf was boring.

Heck, if they could muster up ONE diverse team, (and they were good) that might do the trick. They don't need the whole league. It would be fun to watch.
What do you mean by diverse? Isn't having Canadians, Americans, Swedes, Russians, etc. etc. all playing on the same team diverse?

IMO, football, basketball and baseball are far less diverse than hockey will ever be. At least the American leagues. Except for baseball, they are heavily flooded with black Americans. And no, that is not a racist statement, or a slight against black men, but rather an honest statement.

Soccer is probably the most diverse sport (racially and nationality wise at least). It's also the most popular sport in the world. Pretty much only Americans don't care much for soccer...so that kind of throws the "diversity" argument out the window lol.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote