View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Re: Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
What do you mean by diverse? Isn't having Canadians, Americans, Swedes, Russians, etc. etc. all playing on the same team diverse?

IMO, football, basketball and baseball are far less diverse than hockey will ever be. At least the American leagues. Except for baseball, they are heavily flooded with black Americans. And no, that is not a racist statement, or a slight against black men, but rather an honest statement.

Soccer is probably the most diverse sport (racially and nationality wise at least). It's also the most popular sport in the world. Pretty much only Americans don't care much for soccer...so that kind of throws the "diversity" argument out the window lol.
I mentioned soccer in my initial post.

No...I don't think hockey is diverse...sorry....or at least not in any interesting way. For any topic we can choose to focus on something to make it seem diverse (like eye color, socioeconomic background, favorite colors) but it won't do the trick for everyone.

Football is still pretty diverse to me. Even if a lot of the fast players are not diverse, because of quarterback, coaching, other player positions, it still feels like a mix. Baseball is diverse. It is true that NBA basketball is not very diverse. I think the reason they survive is marketing. If you can make a player a star and make it so the fans feel differently about that player, you MAY be able to pull it off. Really I find NBA boring except the final quarter of each game and the playoffs.