View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
To put it simply, I was talking about the US market and US TV market...simple. I was actually thinking about what could help the NHL...not the sport of hockey worldwide. Sometimes I think things are obvious as far as context of conversation and they are not to some people.(nature of the internet).

One could argue each city/state has its own flavor and that may be diverse for some and not for others. The same way when you watch hockey it screams diversity to you, it doesn't for me. It looks like we are going to agree to disagree on the diversity but I'll say this, sometimes certain cultural differences between one white group and another might come out (cooking, heritage parade, etc) but it is not always evident while watching a hockey match. It would be the same as having 15 different African countries all black all doing basketball and saying it is super diverse. Sure when it comes to customs, cooking, language, etc, it will be very diverse. I guess the answer to your question of what I'm talking about is "visually diverse". So for example, a Hispanic, a Middle Easterner, an (East) Indian might all be considered Caucasian but they may be "visually diverse". I don't want to have to sit down with each and have an interview to go over their backgrounds to appreciate the diversity.

My concept is simple. There is a group of people that already love it and watch. If there is a group of people like me who would find it more interesting if it were diverse then automatically the viewership numbers increase unless people from your group drop out once it becomes more diverse. So the question then becomes how many would find it more interesting if it had more diversity? It's useless to debate among hockey fans. That group has already been filtered. It is the non-fans that should discuss whether they would find it more interesting or not
You completely lost me on this entire post. I really don't know what most of it has to do with the sport. So we'll just have to agree to disagree on the subject, cause I don't know where you're going with this.

To siphon the conversation back a little to racial diversity...I doubt having an extremely racially diverse hockey league would make much difference to fans and non-fans...seeing as how the NFL and NBA are about as racially diverse as hockey is. I just don't get why racial diversity would make the sport more interesting to some. If the way it is played isn't interesting to you now, it never will be.