View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #56
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Thanks. I will. Part of me inside still would like the Bruins so that's who I'd root for. Thanks for catching me up to date on it. I don't know why i was able to stay a Steelers fan through the tough years but couldn't stick with the Bruins. It's not like i switched though...just lost interest in the sport. If I end up liking the playoffs, I could probably get it on the PS3. That would help me learn the players better.
Yeah, I can understand the regular season being hard to get into and follow for some. Playoffs are a whole other beast though. Every arena is charged up and teams just play with a different intensity. Most pregame shows do a pretty good job of covering who's done what for the team and who sits in what place in the stats and what not as well (for people who don't follow a ton of regular season coverage). It's a good time...it's even better in person. There's no way you can go to a live playoff game and not get swept up in it.

Quote:
I've come a long way in football. Although I've always been a loyal fan, it is not until the last 5 years or so that I fully understood the difference between a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DE and started to know ALL the players of the 53 and even the ones that didn't make the cut. I'm always learning. It was only last year that i learned what a "twist" is.
I know the feeling. It took me a long time to get the intricacies of football down. I enjoyed rooting for the Steelers with my Dad as a kid, but it wasn't until I was 15 or 16 that I really ever cared to even sit down and actually pay attention to what was going on. I had just never had the same focus with it as I did with hockey. I'm still not the biggest X's and O's type of person when it comes to football, but I'm learning more from the boards every season.

Quote:
LOL That's where I would have put it...4th (last). I only considered 4 major sports lol. I never counted soccer, Rugby, lacrosse, volleyball as major sports.
And nationally it's gaining on basketball (and will with baseball soon too, as long as both don't have a cap, it will continue too). There's just something utterly boring about leagues with no cap limit. Parity is essential for leagues IMO. Unless you live in the city that is constantly in the playoffs or constantly winning championships, you get bored with it. That's pretty much why football surpassed baseball as the most popular sport in the US...there was more parity. And if the NFL goes uncapped a ton of people will become disinterested. It won't happen overnight...but if it stays that way long enough, it'll absolutely ruin the sport for many. Guarantee it.

Look at it this way. The NHL was in real trouble 6+ years ago, when there was no cap and little parity. They had the lockout, instituted a cap limit, and it's done nothing but get more popular nationally ever since. It's not going to shoot up to the top overnight, just like not everyone is going to quit watching the NFL overnight if it goes uncapped...but that parity makes a ton of difference. Outside of Canada, the NHL hasn't ever seen the kind of success it's seeing right now. It's the one really good thing that Bettman did lol.

Quote:
Basketball is only exciting during the playoffs. Regular season basketball is funny because when I come 4th quarter I feel like I've seen all I need to see. If the game is close, perfect...I didn't miss anything and the good part will be the 4th quarter. If the game is a blow out, then watch for a little then turn it off if it doesn't seem like a comeback is forming.

I am a Lebron fan so i follow the Heat. I hate the Lakers (my brother likes them)...lol
I was into basketball a little when I was in high school. It just seems like so much showboating now. I haven't watched it in years, so maybe it's changed a little...but I never got the sense that players were in it for each other, for the team. It always felt like guys just out there for themselves. I don't know...maybe I'm wrong, but it just hasn't appealed to me in a long, long time.