View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default Re: Draft Day Predictions

A lot of people on here grilled me for "questioning" the Steelers FO.... quite the contrary actually... I trust the talent evaluation of the FO... I just hate to see them draft for need at the end of round 1 and make a stretch on guys....

Examples:
Jamaine Stephens was a late round 1 pick ..... the 6 OT selected
Chad Scott was a late round 1 pick.... the 5 DB selected
Troy Edwards was a early/middle round 1 pick... the 3rd and final WR taken in round 1
Deon Figures was the 4th and final DB selected late in round 1

Obviously a few exceptions...
Charles Johnson middle/late round 1 pick... the 1st WR taken (but very weak WR draft that year... only 2 or 3 WR taken in first 40-45 picks
Casey Hampton middle/late round 1 pick... the 5 DT selected (unbelievable DT class including Seymore, Hampton and a slew of other above average DT's

I just dont want to see them stretch for a need pick at the end of round 1... I want them to identify their guy and make a serious bid to go get him.

If it were up to me Holmes is the best WR in the draft and could experience a slight draft day slide... it happens every year... Most mock drafts have him going anywhere from 12-18... if pick 18 or 19 rolls around and Holmes is there I would have no problem whatsoever with the Steelers sacrificing a sizeable chunk of this years 10 picks or even a pick or two from the 07 draft to move up and get him

But if the Steelers traded up to the around pick 20 (give or take 5 slots in either direction) and selected a LB or a OL, I would be just as happy... because I trust their talent eval.

Look at the reccent history of Steelers players who were among the first at their repsected positions to be selected:

Faneca - 1st OG selected in 98
Burress - 2nd WR selected
Miller - 1st TE drafted in 05
Ben - 3rd QB in 04
Polamalu - 1st S taken

When the Steelers are able to get one of the first few guys selected by position their batting average is amazing.... love to see it happen in 06!!!!
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote