Re: Deadspin - Why No One Remembers The Mark Sanchez Rape Case.
Not to be rude or anything...but you guys, are well, guys. And there's a few things here that sound very ignorant.
1. Have you ever heard of a condom? Pulling out? A lot of times rapists will do this for the very reason that they prevent their DNA from being collected (unless the girl fights back and gets the attackers skin under her nails). There doesn't have to be DNA for there to be rape.
2. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that none of you were ever raped or sexually assaulted (yes I know it's possible, but from the context of speech here...it's very unlikely). To assume that it's just an easy step for all women to go to the hospital or call the cops, or even tell friends and family members after they are raped is 100% false. Many women feel ashamed, dirty, self loathing and a myriad of other emotions that you'll probably never understand after such an attack occurs. Sometimes it's just not that cut and dry. Is it something they should do? Absolutely. Is it that easy? Never. It's very easy for people to be looking at a situation they've never been in, or never dealt with and provide all the easy answers for it, but until you've been faced with that situation, it's impossible to understand why some do what they do.
3. Rape is one of the hardest crimes to prove...even with DNA evidence. Almost every woman on the face of the Earth knows this. So do most men. Both sexes sometimes use that knowledge to their advantage.
4. I've never once been comfortable calling Ben 100% innocent. I don't know what happened that night. There are a ton of variable to consider. He is a very rich, high profile man which makes him an easy target...but doesn't mean it's impossible for him to do the things he was accused of. I much prefer not judging it either way. Most sensible people do the same thing. None of us have all the facts, and none of us should act like we do.
5. I've joked about Sanchez' case with a few Jets members here who've brought up the Big Ben thing. While I do think it's fair that they know what their QB is accused of when they bring up ours, it's not fair the manner I presented it in. In hindsight, I handled it badly...but the temptation of throwing back the ridicule we've taken here for quite a while now was too much. The reality of it is, both guys were accused of something very serious. There's a chance one or both of them did it. There's a chance neither of them did it. We might never know. If we ever find out though, it'll most likely be in a horrible way (another charge that will likely stick).
I'll leave it at that. I just had to say my piece on this because I don't think it's fair to assume that every woman will handle being raped or sexually assaulted in a cut and dry manner. There were just too many broad statements for me.
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.