View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: What's next for the Steelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
All fair points and I understand what you're saying.

But what I'm getting at is not a quick fix kind of thing but rather long term neglect.

Let's face it, we haven't had a really solid secondary in a long time and part of that was because we didn't need one since only a couple of teams ran a really good West Coast style. But these days many teams are adopting West Coast offenses in various forms and it's certainly no coincidence that those are the teams against which we have the most problems.

I've seen this as a trend in the last few years and I guess I'm just surprised that LeBeau / Colbert / "The Team" hasn't and now I think it's coming back to haunt us. The image of the Steelers has always centered on linebackers and that may make for great visuals or tough-guy images but the realities of modern football are drifting away from the battle in the trenches to speed in coverage and I think we need to address that.

It seems that every draft we add more linebackers and we tend to look at DB's as an afterthought and I'm just suggesting that we need to change that viewpoint and recognize that our secondary is our weakest link and has been for a while.
It makes me wonder what we would have seen in this SB had BMac not been hurt. During the regular season, we saw Troy roaming all over the place and making those spectacular plays. Once BMac got injured, Troy became a "normal" safety. The year we beat the Cardinals, our secondary was rated near the top of the league with this same set of starters.

The AFC North is a tough place to play. We were losing guys against Cincy and Cleveland. Seems we just couldn't walk over some of the bottom of the division without paying a price. It would have been nice to see what type of secondary we would have had if we could have kept healthy.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote