Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Early draft thoughts

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Early draft thoughts

I keep seeing nose tackle Phil Taylor of Baylor's name associated with the Steelers in mock drafts.

Given that he was kicked out of school at Penn State for a brawl and other problems, I highly doubt that is going to happen.

Mike Pouncey is being linked to the Steelers for obvious reasons, but because of those same reasons, I doubt he'll be available to them with the 31st pick.

Maurkice Pouncey's performance for the Steelers last season will cause his twin brother's stock to be a little higher than it may have been if his name was, say, Mike Peterson.

Pouncey is good and deserving of first-round consideration, but he's not as talented as his brother.

I think the Steelers' top targets will wind up being cornerbacks Jimmy Smith of Colorado or Aaron Williams of Texas, but that could change depending on who runs well at the combine.

Both of those corners have the size the Steelers look for in their corners and are willing tacklers.

A lot of mocks I've seen have the Steelers taking an offensive tackle. I don't see that happening unless the value is there.

Max Starks will be back in 2011 and I expect the Steelers to re-sign Willie Colon. They also have Flozell Adams under contract as well. I could see them taking a tackle in the middle rounds for depth, but I don't think they felt their line was the problem others seem to think it is.

I think the way Sean Kugler cobbled things together this season showed the Steelers that they have a pretty good offensive line coach who can do a lot of good by coaching the players up.

If anything, I could see a guard/tackle being taken as a fallback if the corners are gone.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote