View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Draft a corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
if pouncey falls to us we will definitely pick him. it's just the question of if he will or not. and it's looking unlikely, thanks to his brother performing so well. he shoulda entered the draft last year where he was expected to fall to round 2 or 3, we might have got them both lol
I have difficulty seeing a guard drafted before our slot. You need to be All-Universe as a guard to be drafted in the first round, seems to me. Pouncey's good, but I see him falling to us, or even early second round. Last year exactly one guard went in the first round - Iupati 17th overall - and given that it was the 49ers drafting him, there's a good argument to be made that he was a reach.

The year before the first guard - Andy Levitre - waited until the middle of the 2nd, and the next guard taken - Louis Vasquez - waited until the middle of the third. Previous years have similar results. The occasional Faneca comes by every decade, but otherwise you simply don't trade up to get a guard... and we certainly won't do it this year.

I'm seeing us draft Pouncey, then a corner (one of the Texas corners or Carmichael), then either a MLB or another corner. Where's that Carnac jpeg when I need it?