View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Official AFL Pittsburgh Power Thread

Just a reminder...the Power's season starts on Friday @ 8pm when they take on the Philadelphia Soul at the Consol Energy Center.

Also, there's been a QB change on the roster since Morelli has been cut.

Quote:
Ex-Penn State QB Morelli cut by Arena team
By JERRY DiPAOLA/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Updated: 03/07/2011 01:10:59 PM EST

Good news quickly followed bad Sunday for quarterback Anthony Morelli after he was cut by the Pittsburgh Power.

Power coach Chris Siegfried chose former Pine-Richland and California (Pa.) quarterback Kevin McCabe as the backup to starter Bernard Morris, but Morelli could end up back in the Arena Football League this week.

"Several teams have contacted my agent," said Morelli, who played at Penn Hills High School and was a two-year starter at Penn State. "I don't know for sure (when he will sign a contract). I just know people are interested."

Morelli, who never played indoor football before attending the Power's training camp this year, said he was surprised by his release.

"I thought I did a great job for only playing arena ball for a short period of time," he said.

Morelli said he was told when he signed that there would be only two quarterbacks in camp. But he understands why Siegfried wanted to add McCabe to the mix. McCabe played indoors last season for the AFL's Cleveland Gladiators.

"It was probably an experience thing," Morelli said. "There are no hard feelings. It's all good. That's how this business works."

"We had a good, healthy battle," McCabe said. "We all raised each other's games."
"It could have gone either way," Siegfried said. "It was the single-hardest position to evaluate on the team because it was such a great battle.

"Kevin is an interesting guy. He has a kind of feel for the game. The ball doesn't always come off his hand as pretty as the other two guys, but it always gets there.

"Anthony can do some great things with his arm, but with the learning curve, especially with a young franchise, we had to go with what helps us win now."
http://www.yorkdispatch.com/sports/ci_17555609