View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
The gladiators were slaves, last I checked. Keep reading your history, and you'll find a lot of exceptionally smart people making this same connection.
First, yes a large number of gladiators were slaves. However, I made the assumption that the type of slavery that Peterson and Mendy were referencing was the home grown American slavery (my assumption was based on the pure idiocy of their comments being a basis they probably haven't cracked too many books to learn what forms slavery took throughout history). The weak correlation between the NFL and gladiators is that human beings were put through physical feats for entertainment ... something very rarely found amoung American slaves. However, Peterson was implying that he was a bound and imprisoned slave to an "owner". That's the biggest bunch of BS.

Quote:
As the source of all truth and light states:

And eventually, as I said earlier, the connection is made between "outright" slavery and any condition where one has little or no control over one's work, working conditions or product. That's demeaning, no matter how much money one is making.
What the hell are you talking about? NFL players have plenty of control over their work, working conditions and products. The greatest form of that control is their freedom to not perform that job any longer. Last time I checked, Peterson has the freedom to not play in the NFL. Don't tell me these guys are suddenly demeaned because they aren't getting more than $8 million a season and have to abide by rules. Besides, if you think this is an original thought by an NFL player, you're kidding yourself. This was a line inserted by an agent trying to cover for his moronic client.

Quote:
There's a reason why studies have shown over and over again that managers almost always choose more power or higher earnings or greater efficiency.
Of course manager will choose higher earnings and greater efficiency ... it's part of a winning formula within our capitalistic system. Are you implying our business decisions should be based on a quest for inefficiency and poor returns on investment?

Quote:
Workers don't tend to have that choice, though.
Workers have the most powerful choice of all ... they can choose to quit and go do something else.

Quick question for you: are you a commie?
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote