View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #43
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
players are also bought/sold/discarded at the wishes of the teams.
It must be horrible to be "bought" by the NFL and have to suffer by making millions of dollars playing a game. As far as being "discarded," regular workers are laid off or fired everyday. And they didn't make millions before being "discarded."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
It's not ridiculous. He's right on the mark that there are parallels. Players are poked, prodded, weighed, measured, bought, sold and traded like cattle.
But yet every player who puts on a helmet dreams of one day going through this process and being drafted by an NFL team. I wonder if slaves looked forward to "draft day" with such anticipation?

Quote:
As workers, they have little control over their labor, their workplace or their product.
Most workers in any business have little or no say over their workplace or product. There are a LOT of things I'd like to change about my workplace. It's not happening though.

Quote:
Now, do they make a butt-load of money? Sure they do. That doesn't negate everything else. Also, it bears mentioning that the average NFL career is three-and-a-half years long, which is a rookie contract... which is precisely what the owners want to limit. Four years' worth of league minimum is less than I'm going to make in my career punching a clock.
Most of them also got a free college education (or at least had the opportunity to). So even if their football career does end after three years, they've got money and connections that your average college graduate could only dream about.

Quote:
That's why slimeballs like Tressel, Carroll, Kelly and probably just about every Division I head coach in the country should be fired immediately if their players don't get real degrees with real grades.
I don't disagree here. If we were arguing that there are parallels between college football and slavery, I'd be on the other side of the argument.

Quote:
There are parallels, and the money doesn't erase that fact.
I think it's ridiculous to compare NFL players to slaves. If the players feel they're being treated unfairly, they are free to find other employment. If they think they have it so bad in the NFL, they can always fall back on that free education they received while attending college.