View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #50
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
NFL Players cant even choose who their employers are or where they get traded
Their employers are the NFL. And they can choose to work for the NFL or find another employer.

Let me give you an analogy. It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than comparing NFL players to slaves ...

Right out of college I get three job offers. Two of them are in my home state of Ohio starting off at $30,000. The third is in Texas starting off at $90,000. I take the job in Texas because I can make a lot more money. After working there a while, I start complaining that they're treating me like a slave because they made me move to Texas.

No one is treating me like a slave. I didn't have to accept the job. Same thing with NFL players. No one is forcing them to go to work for the NFL. They choose to be employed by the NFL knowing they have to play for the team that drafts them. And then after their rookie contracts are up, they DO have a say in where they play ... it's called free agency.

I remember seeing an interview with Paul Stanley of Kiss years ago. He was talking about rock stars who complain about being on the road all the time and losing their privacy. He said if they are lucky enough in life to be doing what they always dreamed of, then they need to shut up and stop bitching. ... There are thousands of former football players who never made it to the NFL who would gladly switch places with those poor, abused NFL players.

Last edited by Wallace108; 03-22-2011 at 11:00 AM.