View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Steelers 4-3 defense

This is good April Fools material, for those of you with writing skills and too much time on your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy86 View Post
While I get that it's the coaches and the players and not the scheme, that have made the Steeler defense a top defense year after year, there has to be something to the 3-4 that is causing more and more teams to switch to a 3-4 from a 4-3. I'd be more inclined to run a 3-3-5 than switch to a 4-3...and think that may be the future. Get smaller and quicker, not bigger and slower. I'm no expert, but when we go to dime and nickel pkgs, isn't that what we are essentially doing? Or is that more of a 2-4-5 type of alignment? Please school me if I am wrong.
The more teams that employ a 3-4, the less effective it is. I think in large part it's a question of preparation by the opposing teams. There were years when the Steelers were the only base 3-4 team in the entire league, and those were the Golden Years of Lloyd, Kirkland, Greene, et al. We were immovable. Then again, when you have linebackers like those guys in their prime, it almost doesn't matter what scheme you employ.