View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Government shutdown looming today

What a bunch of douchebags. Seriously. And I can't believe the Republicans are going to make me defend Democrats.

The GOP is willing to shut down the government over $300 million for an organizati­on that provides cervical pap smears, cancer testing, counseling and contracept­ive services for millions of women. If $300 million is such an issue, let's see where else we could recover it.

$300 million is just 0.1% of the amount of corporate tax breaks enjoyed by Fortune 100 companies every year.

$300 million would cover the costs for just ONE DAY of the wars in Iraq and Afghanista­n

$300 million covers just TWO DAYS of the cost of the failed War on Drugs

$300 million covers just ONE DAY of federal subsidies to Big Agricultur­e

$300 million represents barely 10% of what the taxpayer gives to "faith based" organizati­ons every year (question for conservati­ves who don't want their tax dollars going to women's health organizati­ons they disagree with...wh­y should MY tax dollars go to churches that I disagree with?)

Just a few examples for anybody who thinks this has anything to do with the budget. This is simply one more instance of the GOP using its power to wage war on Americans it doesn't like.

On top of that, part of what will happen if the government does get shutdown, is that military pay will be delayed. I am not in favor of many of the governments decisions to go to war, but that does not mean I don't have a ton of respect for the men and women in the military and their families.

Of course though, as is typical with our government, they are not looking at the bigger picture.

I'm just pissed at this stupid bullshit.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote