View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Can we win with our current corner situation?

If we resign Ike, I think we can.
Corner was the weak spot of our D and was exposed a couple of times last season. Only 2 teams really did major damage to it and they were the 14-2 Pats and the Super Bowl Champion Packers. Both have elite QB's. Good teams with or without elite QB's were only able to have moderate success against our secondary.

Brees rallied his team late with 2 TD's in the 4th Quarter, but didn't do much in the first 3 quarters and the Saints only scored 20 points total at home.
Flacco, Sanchez, and the rest threw for some yards, but rarely got into the endzone.

Our corner situation does need upgraded, but whatever we do will have little effect for the 2011 season. The top 4 corners will likely all be gone by the time we pick. With the expected lockout, anyone brought in through the draft will have virtually no chance of starting with a shortened training camp.

BMac was playing hurt through the playoffs and I thought he played pretty well through the middle of the season. If healthy, he is a decent cover corner.
Troy wasn't the same in the playoffs. His injuries hampered his ability to force turnovers and make big plays all over the field.
William Gay is a serviceable nickel guy, nothing more. As long as we don't need him to start at #2, I'm ok with him.
Ike is under rated imo. I think he's a top 10 corner in this league.
Crezdon Butler is going into his second year. Can he make the jump to starter with a year under his belt? The Lebeau defense takes time to learn, maybe the guy we need to step up is already on the team. I know he was a 5th rounder a year ago, but Ike was taken in the 4th.

Last edited by steelerchad; 04-21-2011 at 12:25 PM.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote