View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Can we win with our current corner situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
Two of the three turnovers in the SB were a direct result of the O-line. Kemoeatu got man-handled on the pick-6. Legursky pulled and missed his block on the Mendenhall fumble (The TE Johnson also missed his block which is a good argument to look at getting a real FB). Yes, our secondary was beaten, but Polamalu looked flat-footed and leaning the wrong way on every play (surely due to injury).

Based on those mistakes, I must say we truly need to get the best possible lineman in the first round. There will be plenty of decent CB's later on because the top ones will be gone by pick 31.

Then I think we really should consider a legitimate FB at some point.
Yeah, but we didn't have Starks, Colon, or Pouncey in the SB. Those are easily our three best linemen. They may not all be Pro Bowlers but I think people forget how injury-decimated the Oline was last year, they're serviceable. It's not NORMAL for Jonathan Scott, Trai Essex, and Doug Legursky to be playing. And if we have Flozell for one more year, even if he's not as good as last year but at least decent, we can kick Colon to LG and all of a sudden we have very few interior line issues and a decent tackle tandem. Then draft somebody next year for a LT, or hope somebody drafted after the first round this year can step up.

Again, it's not the Patriot's Oline but it gets the job done. Moreso than the current corner depth.

And there aren't going to be any fantastic Oline options at 31, we were lucky to get Pouncey last year because, even if we couldn't have predicted how good he'd be, he was still one of the best Oline prospects to enter the draft in a while. We aren't going to have an option like that at 31, or even in the 20's. I think people are under the assumption that drafting a LT or a LG = instant Oline fix, it's not. While of course a corner isn't going to be an instant secondary fix either, a corner will probably be the BPA at 31 and also our greatest need, so I don't see how you can't take that route.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote