View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479
Default Ike Risky Free Agent

Jason La Canfora's article on Big Risk Free Agents

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Ike Taylor, CB: The corner is aging some himself, and this is a young man's position to say the least. There might not be a more astute team in the NFL at self scouting than the Steelers. When they are willing to let a key player go -- especially when he plays a position of need like defensive back is with them right now -- I'd be a little wary about getting full rewards from the kind of contract it will take to land him. His skill set might end up translating as more scheme specific and, given the possible limitations of the marketplace, it's going to take some big money to land him.

I think I agree with him. It is the same thing with Fernando Bryant, he was great for Jacksonville (5 ints/6 FR) was a huge free agent pick up for Detroit in 2004. I remember ESPN and other sports groups saying that this could be a huge boost for Detroit, but four seasons later he was released (only picked off two passes and that was in the fourth year in Detroit)

Some players are just products of a system Colt Brenan, Timmy Chang (NCAA Pass Yards Leader) and so on. Ike could be one of those guys because lets face it, he doesn't have lock down abilities he is good covering when he has help over the top because he can take more risks.