Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall plans to sue endorser for dropping him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
My first instinct is that Mendy's going to lose this one. Then it occurred to me that lawyers pick these fights for all sorts of reasons, and some variety of settlement might be the ultimate goal.
Or his attorney may just be an idiot

The apparent theory of the case is that Mendenhall had made ignorant remarks on other subjects prior to sounding off on 9-11 and there was no action taken by Hanes so for that reason nothing Mendenhall said could justify dumping his endorsement

Hanesbrands' decision to drop the Steelers star was likely a "kneejerk reaction" made within 48 hours of the tweets, [Mendenhall's attorney] said. The swiftness of that move contrasts with Champion's silence regarding other contentious tweets by Mendenhall, the lawsuit claims.

On March 15, for example, Mendenhall tweeted about his agreement with Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson's comments comparing the NFL to "modern-day slavery."

"Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other," Mendenhall wrote.

About six weeks later, he tweeted that women who decline to perform oral sex on a partner should be aware that "It's either gonna be you, OR some other chick."

"Hanesbrands at no time prior to May 2011 suggested that it disagreed with Mr. Mendenhall's comments or that his tweets were in any way inconsistent with the values of the Champion brand," the lawsuit says

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...es-champion-1m

I guess this attorney will be stunned when Hanes fires back with defenses such as the 9-11 comments addressing a much more volatile issue and the 9-11 comments being the last straw for Hanes after the prior nonsense Mendy had been generating during the offseason

Steelers front office must be thrilled about this after the Ward and Harrison events
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote