View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #123
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,618 Posts
Default Re: I guess we're in the hunt for Plaxico again?

Based on these comments Plax did not get any smarter during his 2 years in prison

Burress deal was “all about Rex”

So what distinguished the Jets from the Steelers, Giants, and 49ers when it came to wooing Plaxico Burress?

None of the other teams had Rex Ryan.

Per a source with knowledge of the process, it was “all about Rex” for Plaxico. Though it didn’t hurt that the one-year, $3 million guaranteed contract also represented the best financial package placed on the table, it was the total package and Ryan’s presence — and pitch — got it done.

In the end, it turns out that Burress was accurate in his assessment of his priorities earlier this month, when talking with our friends Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Well, the head coach is going to be first and foremost,” Burress said. “It’s going to be somebody to where, well, you know, he has an open door policy, I can walk in his office and sit down and talk to him whether it’s about football or life or whatever that may be. Then, of course, second, it’s going to be a quarterback. I’m a wide receiver. I mean, that’s a no brainer. I’m not going to sit here and say it’s not. And surround myself with guys that are hungry and guys that know how to play and want to win.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...all-about-rex/

Yeah - how could anyone possibly choose Roethlisberger over Sanchez?

At least one columnist thinks this is the Jets overpaying to win a New York media war with the Giants

But the Jets love attention, and they've been making alot of it on and off the field since Rex Ryan took over as head coach. That's why the signing of free-agent Plaxico Burress should come as no surprise. He's a big name, the Giants were interested in him and the Jets wanted to make a move at the wide-receiver position.

More important, they probably felt they had to make a splash after losing out with Nnamdi Asomugha. So they sign Burress, and say goodbye to Braylon Edwards. I don't know where he ends up, but it's safe to assume it won't be back with the Jets.

I know, Edwards must drop his price for anyone to be interested, but he's a more dangerous weapon than Burress. Burress, of course, is a sexier name, and the Jets opted for the guy who will get the attention ... and he will get it in stadium where the Giants play.

My question: Will he also get the passes? He turns 34 next month and missed the past two years of football while sitting in prison. More to the point, when you talk to personnel directors and GMs they tell you he was slipping in 2008, when we last saw him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...84866/31011242

Can't say missing on Burress breaks my heart
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote