View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Herm Edwards: Team with most to worry about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Huh? We keep drafting LBs that rarely work out? You mean like Timmons and Woodley? And Wallace is the only good receiver we've drafted lately? Have you seen Sanders and Brown play?
---------------------------

I disagree with the notion that the Steelers have ignored the O-line and that it's because of arrogance or anything else. The top O-linemen get drafted high in the first round. Sure, players like Pouncey can drop lower, but when they do, it's not like we're the only team targeting them. So it's not always possible to get a top lineman late in the first round.

The Steelers routinely draft in the late 20s and even 30s. There's not a whole lot separating the linemen that are available at that position compared with those who you can get in later rounds. Why waste a first-round pick on a lineman when you can get the same quality of player in the second or third round?

And they have drafted linemen in later rounds ... it's not like they're not even trying. But the draft isn't an exact science. You win some, and you lose some.

Maybe if we're lucky, we'll win only 2 or 3 games this season and then we can draft one of the top linemen in next year's draft.
Nicely put. You're right. I agree it's hard to get quality O-lineman late. And your last sentence hits it right on the head. We need to lose more games so we'll get better draft picks. Also let's spend a boatload in FA so we can win more games.Trade up in the draft. Give all of our picks away for a shot at a quality o-lineman.(You know. Like Pouncey or something). I mean the FO has managed to put us in the position to go 2-1
in SB's in the last 6 years.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote