View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Steelers not really upset about Superbowl loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
I find it incredulous that some on here are blaming this loss on "failure to adapt" to the "blueprint" unveiled by the Patriots and Packers.

The Ravens certainly did not follow that blueprint, they ran it down our throat and Flacco made pin point passes when he needed to. This wasn't a spread-lead offense. Hell, several of Flacco's big plays were check down and TE leaks.

Yea the defense was putrid, but worse than the typical soft secondary.
I think you need to look at the game more closely-- Flacco did not make "pinpoint passes when he needed to"-- they took a page out of the Patriots playbook and spread our defense out and starting picking on the weaknesses in our coverage-- i.e. McFadden, Farrior, and Gay.

They used Lee Evans' speed to deepen the field and only threw the ball 3 times in his direction. His sole purpose in their scheme yesterday was to keep Ike Taylor and Polamalu occupied in deep coverage while they work to exploit the weaknesses in our short to moderate passing defense.

The reason Rice had the whole middle of the field to work with is because they succedded in spreading our defense too thin to make stops in the middle (helps when Foote/Farrior try to tackle with one arm).

And you can bet your money that we will be seeing teams try to run that very same offense against us each week until the Steelers demonstrate to the rest of the league that they can stop it.