View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,741 Times in 3,670 Posts
Default Coach Lebeau scraps CB's 10-12 yd cushion...

...atleast for 1 game anyways-

http://pit.scout.com/2/1107073.html

Quote:
SCHEMATICALLY SPEAKING

LeBeau used few of the big cushions that are part of his trademark three-deep (Cover-3) zones last Sunday. He instead had his corners playing press/man coverage on the Baltimore wide receivers, who combined to catch 4 passes for 74 yards and a touchdown.

But the strategy appeared to have opened the field for the Baltimore tight ends and running backs, who caught 13 passes for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns.

“That’s one of the disadvantages of bump coverage,” said LeBeau. “You lose the vision of that guy (cornerbacks) on runs. But the plus of it is you’re not opening up all that area for that outside receiver to just run down there and turn around at 12 yards and catch the ball. Ideally you try to mix the techniques together so they have to keep guessing exactly what you’re doing.”

Look for LeBeau to get back to his comfort (three-deep) zone very soon.

“There was a game this week where they passed for a thousand yards,” he said.
for six years now, i have probably read hundereds of fans, constantly complain, year in and year out, about our CB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

during that time we have led the league in defense numerous times including having the #1 pass defense in 08. last year we only gave up 62 yds of rushing per game. also during that span, we have been to the superbowl six times.

off the top of my head, i think lebeau has coached in 6 sb's in the last 30 years. im guessing the only other current coach in the league who can boast that is bill belichick.

good thing is the fans finally got their wish and got to see some man to man press. of course the average fans gameplan doesnt alway work out quite how they draw it up on a napkin.