View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #76
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600
Default Re: Should Hines Ward still be in the starting rotation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
sterling sharpe echoed as much tonight on total access when he said mike wallace was the 3rd year receiver most likely to have the break out year, thrusting him into superstardom. he attributed his current success to the veteran leadership and mentorship of ward, noting how none of the other 3rd year wr's have that and cited how important it was to his own shortened career. he then intimated that there is much more to just running fast and catching the ball.

but i guess we all should just ignore someone who has actually been there and done that, because some internet jockey on SF (who most likely couldnt even label a route tree) says theyre wrong.
For Hines it was Courtney Hawkins. Hawk was a Steeler for Ward's first three seasons and while he may not have been an all-pro WR, he was a consumate professional and crucial to Hines' development coming into the NFL. Maybe Hines would have gone on to have the HOF career that we've witnessed anyway, maybe not but it sure didn't hurt. In looking up Hawkins' to make sure I had the years correct, I found out that he is now Head Football Coach and Athletic Director at the high school he attended in Flint MI. Good for Hawk.