View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #22
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: offender fined for low hit on big bens knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
The point isn't that he tried to tackle him. The point is that he continued to make an effort to contact him after he was tripped, and after the ball was released, and he hit Roethlisberger at the knee.
Of course he made an effort to tackle Ben after he was tripped. You can't expect a player to just fall to the ground and stay there until the play is over. And the reason he hit Ben in the knee is because he was tripped and was falling. Had he not been tripped, it would have been a perfectly legal tackle (I'm assuming).

Quote:
Because he continued to attempt to make contact, you cannot use the argument that he was tripped to justify the incident.
Again, what was he supposed to do ... fall to the ground and lie there until the ref blows the whistle?
Had he not been tripped and just dove at Ben's knees, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But that isn't what happened. Gilbert got burned on the play and stuck out his leg to trip him. Had he not been tripped, it would have been a clean hit. So at the very least, Gilbert is just as responsible as Brock. Unless, of course, you expect him to just fall to the ground and remain there until the play is over.

Quote:
Was he aiming for the knee, or did he intend to cause an actual injury? I don't know that and won't try to speculate, and I'm not going to assume that what happened was his goal.
I'll speculate ... had Gilbert not tripped him, it would have been a clean hit. To assume that he purposely aimed at Ben's knee, you'd have to conclude that he consciously made that decision in a split second after being tripped.

Quote:
What is relevant is that he purposefully, and not accidentally, hit Ben, and where he hit him was in an area that results in a penalty and a fine. Period.
I agree that he purposely hit Ben. That's what he's supposed to do. The argument is whether or not he purposely targeted Ben's knee. And I say no. But whether it was intentional or not, if you hit a QB in the knees, it's going to draw a flag. And rightfully so. But if it isn't intentional, is it worthy of a fine? According to you and Goodell, I guess it is.

Quote:
By the way, Doug Legursky was fined $10,000 for his clipping penalty, which I'm fine with.
Just out of curiosity ... were you fine with all of Harrison's fines last season?