View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: offender fined for low hit on big bens knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Of course he made an effort to tackle Ben after he was tripped. You can't expect a player to just fall to the ground and stay there until the play is over. And the reason he hit Ben in the knee is because he was tripped and was falling. Had he not been tripped, it would have been a perfectly legal tackle (I'm assuming).
If a player is going to hit a quarterback in the knees, then you DO expect him to "just fall to the ground and stay there" instead of making an illegal hit. It doesn't matter that he was 'tripped' because he was still under control enough to avoid the collision with the knee after the 'trip'. He is still responsible for where he hits the quarterback. Besides, that 'trip' is unconvincing, anyway. Gilbert whiffs trying to block right when Brock spins the opposite way, so his upper body moves left, but he maintains position with his lower half. It's not like he stuck his leg up 2 feet off the ground.

Quote:
Again, what was he supposed to do ... fall to the ground and lie there until the ref blows the whistle?
He's supposed to not hit a quarterback in the knee, regardless of what action he has to take to make that happen.

Quote:
Had he not been tripped and just dove at Ben's knees, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But that isn't what happened. Gilbert got burned on the play and stuck out his leg to trip him. Had he not been tripped, it would have been a clean hit. So at the very least, Gilbert is just as responsible as Brock. Unless, of course, you expect him to just fall to the ground and remain there until the play is over.
Obviously when the league looked at the play, they decided that what happened with Gilbert did not constitute as a trip by the league rule. If it was a trip, he would have been fined too. He was trying to maintain his original position, and he was entitled to do that.

Quote:
I'll speculate ... had Gilbert not tripped him, it would have been a clean hit. To assume that he purposely aimed at Ben's knee, you'd have to conclude that he consciously made that decision in a split second after being tripped.
Had he not tripped over Gilbert's leg, is it likely that he doesn't hit the knee? Possibly, but that is irrelevant, because he did trip over Gilbert's leg. It doesn't matter whether a defender consciously decides to hit a player illegally. I'm willing to bet that 99% of all illegal hits are not intentional.

Quote:
I agree that he purposely hit Ben. That's what he's supposed to do. The argument is whether or not he purposely targeted Ben's knee. And I say no. But whether it was intentional or not, if you hit a QB in the knees, it's going to draw a flag. And rightfully so. But if it isn't intentional, is it worthy of a fine? According to you and Goodell, I guess it is.
That's not what he's supposed to do when his only chance of actually making contact is an illegal hit. Obviously he hurt his own team by doing what you feel he was supposed to do, so it doesn't sound like it was that great of an idea after all. I'm not arguing whether or not a fine is 'worthy'. I'm saying that by the precedent set over the last few years, that hit was going to merit a fine.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity ... were you fine with all of Harrison's fines last season?
I don't recall all of them, but I believe my opinion varied based on the hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
No, it shouldn't be a fine, because it was not intentional that he hit his knee. a player is not going to stop trying on a play because he was tripped, which Gilbert did. Brock also did not twist ben's leg when he crashed into him, he merely just laed there, watch it again. When someone is tripped, you will fall forward.
The intent doesn't matter. He was under control enough that he was able to lunge forward off of his knee, rendering the fact that he tripped over somebody's leg irrelevant.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote