View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Steel4ever95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18825
Default Re: Rampage vs Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
actually rampage is one of the more technical strikers at 205. he usually waits for the opponent to open up and counter punches, he's not great at pushing the action. I've followed most of his fights from the PRIDE days, and majority of his knockout punches came from a counter punch. His boxing is very good, maybe one of the best at 205. He's struggled most with fighters that get him clinched up (shogun, rashad, forrest, wand fights 1&2 where he must have gotten hit by 50,000 knees) where he's not technically good in that department. Though he manages to get himself out of trouble in the clinch with brute strength more often than not.

Jones' game plan will probably be to clinch and push him against the cage or take him down. if this fight stays on the feet, i think rampage has the advantage. At some point in this fight, I think rampage will connect with a shot. If this happens we will learn a lot more about Bones. We don't even know if he can take a punch yet, but to his credit, he's been great at avoiding punishment
Yeah I never got to see any of his fights in PRIDE, I've actually only seen one PRIDE card, which bummed me out, I have seen the highlights though of him eating all those knees from Wand. True though on his counter punching, I never really thought of that at all, thats actually how he beat Chuck to get the title in the UFC I think.

Well you hit the nail on the head with Jones taking him in the clinch and working him on the cage lol, he did that a good amount last night. Jones looked very good, and did a great job using his kicks and reach to keep Rampage from closing the distance. Jones was pretty smart not to get to wild with some of his elbows to, he did catch Rampage with one at the end of the first, and Rampage looked pissed after that, I was hoping to see him come out on fire the next round. Nice to see Rampage give Jones props in his interview after the fight, and if Jones has any critics after this fight then I dont know what it will take to shut them up.