View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #33
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,101 Times in 2,384 Posts
Default Re: Enough Is Enough: Offense Needs New Gameplan

Interesting how it is being leaked that some of the problems on Sunday night go back to Ben

Yesterday Bouchettte reported this

Mike Tomlin said something interesting today that we all should have picked up on. He said many times the QB is given an option of plays and he calls them at the line. Maybe he's calling the wrong ones at times, and not BA. I wrote today that many of the run plays that were called were not the ones they practiced last week.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

Then this from Gerry Dulac of the P-G today on the second sack that resulted in the fumble and TD run back

I found out today that the play in question -- second-and-10 at the Colts 42 in the second quarter – was supposed to be a draw with a quick-pass option. Scott took a short drop-step on Freeney because that is what he is supposed to do on a draw play -- let Freeney get upfield to the outside so he runs himself out of the play. Left guard Chris Kemoeatu was also blocking downfield on the play, another indication it was a running play.

Roethlisberger has the option to throw on that play, based on the defense, but it is supposed to use a quick, three-step drop. That way he gets rid of the ball before the pressure arrives. Instead, he took a five-step drop, allowing Freeney enough time to hit him from behind, forcing the fumble that Jamaal Anderson returned for a touchdown to tie the score at 10-10.

Don't blame Scott for the turnover. He was only doing what he was supposed to do.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

My bet is this is coming from the coaches - maybe there is some concern Roethlisberger has regressed in terms of freelancing too much?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote