Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,126 Times in 504 Posts
Default Re: Sad but True

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWstevo View Post
Prime example of typical glass is half empty BS.

Everything in this article is right, yet somehow these Steelers still go to every other Super Bowl, usually winning it all. No other OC can say that. Maybe they go undefeated and win the last four Super Bowls with a good o-line and better OC. But then again, without Bruce Arians maybe they don't even make the playoffs 4 years in a row. Who knows.

But so many of us forget how good the Pittsburgh Steelers have been for decades, inspite of 31 other teams trying to accomplish the same thing, some with better talent and "better" OC.

I guess its just much more fun (for the media and fans) creating drama and complaining about things, instead of just enjoying the game and our team. Hell, at my work (here in Pittsburgh) you'd a though our Steelers lost last week, they way everyone was putting them down.

Not me. Go Steelers!

OK, I'll call your "glass half-empty" comment and raise you a "whistling through the graveyard".

Look, to me a "W" is a "W" and I'm all for being hopeful, but even I have to admit that we suck offensively - especially when you consider the talent we have.
Roethlisbergeer is one of the best QB's in the league yet he still makes bone-headed mistakes and frankly gets too arrogant too soon.

It's OK to to get a little full of yourself if you have a three or four score lead, but he seems to get that way far too early in games and it HAS cost us in the past.
You know, Bradshaw may have been that way to an extent, but HE had Swann and Stallworth along with a solid O-line and a Defense to die for -- plus he played in an era where it was possible to dictate terms.

But today's league is far different from those days. It's quicker and far more specialized and as such there is little time to step back and admire your work during a game especially if you follow a great pass with a high-school level fumble or pick.
Whether we should or shouldn't be scoring more isn't really the point. The point is that with the talent we have at the offensive skill positions, scoring frequently ought to be standard operating procedure yet scoring at all lately seems to be becoming more "miraculous" than standard and I don't care what kind of fan you are -- that simply HAS to bother you.

Hell, I've been a fan for just shy of forty years and it doesn't just bother me -- it pisses me off! Why are you willing to settle for what you're seeing now when you know as well as I that we're capable of so much more?
Would a pro golfer settle for a 200 yd. drive if he knew he could hit it 300?
Hell no!

So why settle for the Field-goal shootouts (kickouts?) if you know you can score touchdowns?
And if the reason why we can't score touchdowns isn't for lack of talent, then it MUST BE the game plan, so CHANGE THE GAME PLAN.

I love this team just as much as any fan and I'll never root against them and I'll take any win that comes our way but even I realize that we can do far better offensively and there HAS to be a reason why we're not.
So if that's true and if the people in charge don't take steps to correct that, then they should not be in charge anymore.

In short, I'm tired of hearing about the "Vaunted Steeler Defense".
I know we have a great "D" and it's what we're known for.

But I've known that for decades and I'd really like to see a "Vaunted Offense" for a change -- maybe even just a "pretty good", or consistent one at this point.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote