View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Wallace: NFL's Fastest Receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
The first part is true but I feel like we can be a lot more explosive if Sanders is on the field more. We're not exactly lighting teams up in the passing game. We have 3 TDs by our receivers in 3 games.

I'm not saying take Ward out completely. We just need to use a little less of him in favor of some of our guys that can make big plays when they get their hands on the ball.

And Ward may know the playbook at all of the WR positions inside and out, but he doesn't line up on the outside anymore. He hasn't for a couple of years now. He's pretty much exclusively a slot guy.
We are explosive in the passing game. Unfortunately, that's all we are. A little more consistency, and some more shots in the middle of the field (which is, specifically, Ward's forté) would be nice.

And the accepted truism that Ward is exclusively a slot receiver doesn't seem to be true. Every time I see him on the field he is in one of three positions, conveniently telegraphing our play to the opposing team:
  1. in motion (running play towards the side he's running;)
  2. tight up against the line (running play;)
  3. out wide, more than half of his plays (pass play)
Look at the last game, including the very first play to Wallace. He's wide right. I think he was in the slot about five or six times all game (including the long bomb to Wallace).