Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,212 Times in 3,235 Posts
Default Re: Big FO mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Don't throw my age at me or question my intelligence. I have watched the Steelers for 20 years and have seen the best of the best and the worst of the worst. .
If you have been watching the Steelers for 20 years I estimate you started watching around the time Cowher arrived - in which case you have some fairly inflated expectations and apparently assume 2 Super Bowl wins, 4 Super Bowl appearances and 8 AFC championship game appearances since 1992 is what is to be expected for a properly run franchise - it's not - it is truly exceptional

Since you obviously regard yourself to be a pretty smart guy, you no doubt are familiar with the statistical theory of of reversion to the mean - consider the possibility that it has some applicability to the performance of pro sports teams and that absent some inherent advantage over competitors (e.g. - in baseball some teams consistently can buy up more talent) the success of the Steelers over the past 2 decades, which you apparently regard to be expected, is an outlier that is unlikely to continue indefinitely for reasons other than an "incompetent" FO

P.S. - some of us started watching the NFL before you did. Unless you were watching during the late Noll years (1 playoff appearance in his last 7 seasons - 1988 was a particular lowlight) you have not seen the worst of the worst when it comes to Steelers football over the last 4 decades
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote