Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,816 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Big FO mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If you have been watching the Steelers for 20 years I estimate you started watching around the time Cowher arrived - in which case you have some fairly inflated expectations and apparently assume 2 Super Bowl wins, 4 Super Bowl appearances and 8 AFC championship game appearances since 1992 is what is to be expected for a properly run franchise - it's not - it is truly exceptional

Since you obviously regard yourself to be a pretty smart guy, you no doubt are familiar with the statistical theory of of reversion to the mean - consider the possibility that it has some applicability to the performance of pro sports teams and that absent some inherent advantage over competitors (e.g. - in baseball some teams consistently can buy up more talent) the success of the Steelers over the past 2 decades, which you apparently regard to be expected, is an outlier that is unlikely to continue indefinitely for reasons other than an "incompetent" FO

P.S. - some of us started watching the NFL before you did. Unless you were watching during the late Noll years (1 playoff appearance in his last 7 seasons - 1988 was a particular lowlight) you have not seen the worst of the worst when it comes to Steelers football over the last 4 decades
No disrespect to anyone, but in my honest opinion. How long you've watched the Steelers play, doesn't matter. Because every September starts off a new season, and with that, the past is no longer relevant. I look forward to each and every year of Steelers football, and my eyes are on what we can do this year, not what we could have done last year.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote