View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173
Default Re: Al Davis dead at 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Based on this story about Oakland Al it sounds as if the owners meetings used to be a lot more fun

Dan Rooney detailed a confrontation with Davis during league meetings working out the merger:

I said we would move over to the AFC and announced our new division alignment: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Houston.

As soon as the words were out of my mouth, Al Davis shouted, "No! We have to debate, then vote on the divisions as we go along!"

"This alignment is set. It's untouchable." I said.

Davis shot back, "No it isn't!"

"Listen, this division is set. I don't care what you do as far as the other divisions, but this division is set. If you don't think so, we're out of here right now!"

Sid Gillman of the San Diego Chargers rose. "Danny," he said, "don't pay attention to him. Your division is set, our division is set - it's good, and that's the way it's going to be."

Then we all sat down and began working out other details of the AFL.

But Davis walked out.

Outside of the Red Room, I heard a commotion. Vince Lombardi had somehow heard of my arguement with Davis. In the hallway Vince grabbed Al by the collar, lifted him up, and pressed him against the wall - hard. "If you're going to cause these people trouble,' he warned, 'you'll be run out of here. You're getting the best teams. Dan Rooney came a long way for this, so settle down or we'll throw you out. We don't need you!"

Lombardi wasn't fooling around and Davis knew it. Al returned to the Red Room visibly shaken and sat down quietly
. He said nothing about the Steelers divisional alignment. How could he? It was the best for everyone."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...oneys-10-10-11
Heh Lombardi was a bad ass. Lombardi's a big part though of why the Packers after the Steelers are the team I respect most. Did anyone see that documentary about Lombardi that was on HBO?
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote