View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Rate our Day 1 draft.

Outsiders view?

I'd give it a C.

I think, in hindsight, that they got the trade for Santonio Holmes wrong in terms of draft picks surrendered for it but I guess he was the WR the Steelers wanted - as the first WR taken he will be an upgrade over Randel El straight away(but obviously doesnt bring the other talents that randel has in other areas)

Safety pick Smith appears to be a playmaking substitute for Troy P. - I doubt they can have both these guys taking risks - you need a solid option to balance things out, im guessing the guy from Washington (Ryan) will be the safety valve (pun intended).

Not to wander too far from the point, but the Patriots pick of a TE seemed strange at first but he was the most talented player available at that point - there is very little left at OLB/ILB left worth a first day pick.

With the 3rd pick, the Steelers seemed at a loss what to do with it (for probably the same reason as the pats) and ended up drafting for an area of need (I still think the Steelers WR corps is the weak link) and reaching instead of selcting the most talented player available.

As I said in the draft thread - the Steelers have small holes to fill - a team like the Titans are always going to appear to have had a great impact draft in comparison.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 04-30-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote