View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #60
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511
Default Re: Rooney wants old Steelers offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Wow genius question. We get 3.5 yds EVERY time. Lets see 3 downs 3.5 that comes out to 10.5 yds, or a first down. Now what coach will not take a first down every time. But your question hypothetical or not is mute. No team averages at least 3.5 every rush. You will have a 15 yd run a 20 yd run and then a bunch of no gains or short gains to reach that avg of 3.5.

Sorry but there is not way you will get me to believe that turnovers caused by good defense should be considered gravy. Too many games hinge on just such situations. We have won numerous games by creating turnovers, how bout Harrisons int return against the Cardinals. Last year the Ravens game were Troy stripped Flacco turned that game around. The playoffs against the Ravens after halftime, how did that game turn around so quick. We rip our offense for turning the ball over but turnovers are not always the result of bad offensive play but great defensive play. I got news for a lot of the fans here, We were not the Superior team every time we took the field, The difference is not always bad coaching either. Sometimes teams are so equal that a turnover is the difference in games, reason players are taught to strip and tip drill interceptions. The biggest difference in this years team and those in the past were the amount of turnovers we made and the lack of creating turnovers. And while I may be in the minority I worry more about the lack of defensive pressure up front than I do about the next version of this offense.
I'm not saying I don't want a defense to force turnovers, but it's the offense's job to score not the defense's, unless that offense is run by Arians, and then the defense had better score, because offense sure won't. It's a not a defensive breakdown when the offense can't or, as in Arians case, won't put points on the board, and the defense that is scored on least in the NFL has done the absolute most important job of a defense. If you had to choose would you rather have a defense that keeps points off the board or one that can be scored on easily but creates turnovers? Especially with when the payoff is a short punting field resulting in a touchback. The defense has been the least of our problems for the last 5 years.

It's funny that you should mention Harrison's Superbowl touchdown, because I cite that as one more example of the offense's inability to produce. Harrison should have been the MVP of that game.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote