View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #25
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,028 Times in 1,779 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: Patriots v Ravens shouldn't even of been close. Officials are morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnet View Post
I'm not sure of the exact procedures, but don't you have to twist the facemask for it to be a penalty?

I understand that this call still could have been made, but if the rule is that you must twist for a foul to be issued, then it is not nearly as blatant as you all are whining about, nor would it potentially be an infraction at all.
"no player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction."

He clearly "pulled" his facemask, therefore it was a penalty. No, you don't have to twist. Twisting, turning and pulling of the facemask all result in a fifteen yard penalty.

A "facemask" penalty is a judgment call that is not reviewable by replay.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 5 of the NFL Rule Book (page 81) states that "no player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction."

The Rule Book describes the penalty as follows:

"Penalty: For twisting, turning or pulling the mask: loss of 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be of a flagrant nature."

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote