View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288
Default Re: Patriots v Ravens shouldn't even of been close. Officials are morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
"no player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction."

He clearly "pulled" his facemask, therefore it was a penalty. No, you don't have to twist. Twisting, turning and pulling of the facemask all result in a fifteen yard penalty.

A "facemask" penalty is a judgment call that is not reviewable by replay.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 5 of the NFL Rule Book (page 81) states that "no player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction."

The Rule Book describes the penalty as follows:

"Penalty: For twisting, turning or pulling the mask: loss of 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be of a flagrant nature."
Thanks for the clarification.

The only defense that I would have for Torrey is that, from still-pictures alone, you can't make the call that he definitively pulled on the facemask. Momentum led Moore into following Torrey into the endzone; from the pictures, we can't prove that Torrey brought Moore along for the ride.

Further, I think that all of this is null and void. My perspective is that, ultimately, calls end up balancing themselves out.

Sure, Torrey could have been called for a facemask on that play, but I can guarantee that there was an earlier hold call missed on the Patriots that gave them a first down, which led them to call a series of plays that scored the touchdown. If not for the first down, their playcalling would have been altered. Who knows, maybe the Ravens would have ended up picking off Brady for a touchdown because of a different playcall caused by a first down not being obtained.

Unless there is an egregious, concerted effort against the Seahawks, err any one team, then the officials' judgements end up evening out.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote