Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,157 Posts
Default Re: Look for Steelers to target Jared Gaither

as someone has already pointed out, haley CUT gaither after 1 penalty, one play. does anyone seriously think gaither would want come and play under haley ?
also why would the chargers not be interested in resigning him ? are the steelers in a position to out bid SD ? would gaither prefer a fridged pittsburgh winter over sunny southern california ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
as someone has already pointed out, haley CUT gaither after 1 penalty, one play. does anyone seriously think gaither would want come and play under haley ?
also why would the chargers not be interested in resigning him ? are the steelers in a position to out bid SD ? would gaither prefer a fridged pittsburgh winter over sunny southern california ?
He would prefer the Steelers if he wants to win.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #23
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
He would prefer the Steelers if he wants to win.

I wouldn't be so sure the Chargers are the team that will be better in 2012. The Steelers play a very tough NFC East next year along with now two tough division foes.

Throw in the possible loss of Wallace, Injury problems with Emanuel Sanders, no guarantee at left guard, or left tackle, no suitable backups at tackle yet on the roster, a potential new nose tackle and inside linebacker, a new corner opposite Ike, no Mendenhall, and a new offensive coordinator that is known to cause friction with star players. This team isn't guaranteed anything this year.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #24
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

One thing for sure don't underestimate Essex. The guy can play every position on the line and filled in at center more then adequately as well. Being you can only dress so many on gameday Essex is the quintessential backup O lineman.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #25
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

he seems to be "the standard" at O-line.... bring him in
Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
I thought Haley was fired by that game, but you are correct. Again, this is just a rumor from the combine and I would not be surprised if it happens. Maybe it wasnt Haley that cut him, maybe Pioli??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
One thing for sure don't underestimate Essex. The guy can play every position on the line and filled in at center more then adequately as well. Being you can only dress so many on gameday Essex is the quintessential backup O lineman.
Essex was a 6th round talent that the Steelers reached and drafted in the 3rd round. He's proven that he can play a few positions, but none of them well enough to be a starter on merit. Time to move on.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #27
Steeldude
Living Legend

Didn't Gaither have back problems?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure the Chargers are the team that will be better in 2012. The Steelers play a very tough NFC East next year along with now two tough division foes.

Throw in the possible loss of Wallace, Injury problems with Emanuel Sanders, no guarantee at left guard, or left tackle, no suitable backups at tackle yet on the roster, a potential new nose tackle and inside linebacker, a new corner opposite Ike, no Mendenhall, and a new offensive coordinator that is known to cause friction with star players. This team isn't guaranteed anything this year.

So who do you pull for??? wow your suggesting the Chargers may be better then the Steelers... give me a break

If wallace leaves we will have our Oline and NT problem fixed in the first 3 picks of the draft.. if he doesnt then we have no problems at WR. You say a New Coord that can cause friction.. how about a new coord that makes us the top 5 O in the league because weve been good with the worst O coord in the NFL.. your whole post looks at neg points

We bring in a LT.. leave Gilbert at RT where he was solid as can be last year.. we move Wilie to gurad and draft one in the draft gives us Jared Gaither Colon pouncey rookie and Gilbert.. with Foster and Doug along with your guy essex still around for depth... Wow now we have the most solid line weve had in 5 years or so... Wallace stays and Brown is back. Sanders is healthy and we have the best WR core weve ever had... ole and by the way we are bringing back the number one D in football a little older but still the number one D in football just in case you forgot... one last point unless you were lost at sea this kid Cortez Allen might be our best CB on the roster this year... look for him to start opp of IKE and play at a probowl level
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #29
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,210 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
That's just the problem.

Aside from Pouncey, our O-line is nothing more than a group of "quintessential backups."

Time to improve that unit so that another 12-4 season means more than this past one.

FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #30
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
So who do you pull for??? wow your suggesting the Chargers may be better then the Steelers... give me a break

If wallace leaves we will have our Oline and NT problem fixed in the first 3 picks of the draft.. if he doesnt then we have no problems at WR. You say a New Coord that can cause friction.. how about a new coord that makes us the top 5 O in the league because weve been good with the worst O coord in the NFL.. your whole post looks at neg points

We bring in a LT.. leave Gilbert at RT where he was solid as can be last year.. we move Wilie to gurad and draft one in the draft gives us Jared Gaither Colon pouncey rookie and Gilbert.. with Foster and Doug along with your guy essex still around for depth... Wow now we have the most solid line weve had in 5 years or so... Wallace stays and Brown is back. Sanders is healthy and we have the best WR core weve ever had... ole and by the way we are bringing back the number one D in football a little older but still the number one D in football just in case you forgot... one last point unless you were lost at sea this kid Cortez Allen might be our best CB on the roster this year... look for him to start opp of IKE and play at a probowl level

I don't pull for the Chargers but I am somewhat of a realist that likes to look at the negative side of things before I look at the positive side and believe me I do look at the positive side (just look at my draft posts). Most of my posts though will be on the negative side but in a kind of warning we shouldn't take anything for granted kind of way, but in no way do I doubt the team's ability to address problems and solve them. I'm very optimistic about this year's draft solving a multitude of problems and Todd Haley succeeding in creating a better offense..

Now you kind of insulted me by suggesting "In case I forgot we were the #1 defense last year" and I may have been lost at sea not realizing we have the next Darrell Revis on the team in Cortez Allen, but last year's defense was last year's defense and that was a defense that went against some of the worst QBs and teams in the history of the league and lost to what is statistically the worst QB of all Tebow. I never saw Cortez Allen after the New England game where he was used in a very simple to understand one on one situation against a tight end. The signs are positive for him and his future and I think he will be the starter next year too, but a pro bowl level when he hasn't even started a game yet or proven he can? I'm not out to sea but I do see, and I don't see it yet. I like your optimism however I strongly suggest you should sell everything you have and put it down on the Steelers winning the super bowl next year. With your optimism how can you lose? Do it.