Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers taking calculated risk with Wallace

The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...-with-wallace/

Steelers taking calculated risk with Wallace

February 29th, 2012

The deadline for using franchise tags is Monday, but the Steelers have all but decided they won’t use one on receiver Mike Wallace.
The cost of a franchise tag for wide receivers — it is projected at a little under $9.5 million — isn’t feasible for a team that is right up against the projected 2012 salary cap and has more on its offseason to-do list than just signing Wallace.
There is a risk in placing the highest tender on restricted free agents, as the Steelers are set to do with Wallace.

Teams that would have had to give up first- and third-round picks in the past to sign Wallace only lose a first-round pick if they lure him away from the Steelers.
That change in the collective bargaining agreement — and cost — has stirred speculation that Wallace will be one of the more sought-after free agents come March 13 at 4 p.m., with the line for his services forming behind San Francisco.
Or New England.
Or Cincinnati.
Or Baltimore.

The reality is that the cost of signing Wallace away from the Steelers is still a prohibitive one.

Teams that have to give up a first-round pick for Wallace also have to overpay the Pro Bowler since the Steelers have the right to match any offer.
That combination is why Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said last week at the NFL Scouting Combine that he would be hesitant to sign a high-profile restricted free agent.

It is also enough of a deterrent for me to think that Wallace is anything but as good as gone if the Steelers don’t use the franchise tag on him.
I know it only takes one team –- and the Patriots, it should be noted, are flush with extra draft picks and salary cap space -– to overpay for a player.
And that it happens every year during free agency.
But the Steelers, given their own constraints and what they would receive if they lose Wallace, won’t be rolling the dice when they offer him the highest tender.
They will be taking a calculated risk, and one that is the correct play when it comes to Wallace.

– Scott Brown
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: Steelers taking calculated risk with Wallace

What if a team made an offer that was like for a 15 million roster bonus but only a per year rate of 1 million per year for 5 years. It would be a 5 year 20 million dollar deal (4 mil per) and the Steelers couldn't match it because of the huge roster bonus. A team would get Wallace for like 4 mil per year and Wallace would be stuck playing for that unless he can refuse to sign that. By refusing he must play for the steelers at around 3 mil.for one year, which would be ironic but bad in the long run as he would become an UFA the next year and we would lose him and not get anything but a compensatory pick in return. One of the negatives for Wallace is the offer from another team is non negotiable.

Patriots could be outbid by a team overpaying Wallace. San Francisco and even Chicago a more desperate team for a wideout could make crazy offers to Wallace. New England won't break the bank in regards to Wallace or anyone not named Brady.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Here is my Top 3 list of teams that SHOULD be trying for wallace:

1) Carolina - Cam Newton needs a great target to throw perfect passes to.
2) New Orleans - A deep threat in Brees' hands would be deadly, mainly because it would free up the other targets he like to spread it out to.
3) Green Bay - Again, a deep threat in the hands of Rodgers........yikes.

Honorable mention: Buffalo - Fitzpatrick could really use a dependable receiver.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,037 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post

2) New Orleans - A deep threat in Brees' hands would be deadly, mainly because it would free up the other targets he like to spread it out to.

Honorable mention: Buffalo - Fitzpatrick could really use a dependable receiver.
New Orleans dont have a first round pick.....
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Wallace stated he wanted a top QB. I'm thinking Carolina is out, and Newton already passed for a ton of yards, I dont think he needs a WR as much as they need help on Def.

Saints are out.

GB, not sure of their cap number, but I'm thinking they won't go for him.

PATS, Ravens(although flacco doesnt meet the criteria of a great qb, lol)
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post

i will throw a freakin party if carolina signs him
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

Actually the Steelers admin has the upper hand in this one.
We lose too many players without getting anything for them, unlike the Patriots who do a great job in racking up draft picks.
If we do lose him then at least we gt a first rounder. how many times have we been able to say that?
I don't care if it is the last pick, there will be a quality player available that firs one of our deficiencies - OL, DL, corner.
They can pick a random speedster in the later rounds if one is available to get the next Wallace (one trick pony).
Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Im sick of that Wallace is mediocre BS....Hes not just some dime a dozen speedster.....his speed is truly special

[YOUTUBE]bDdr6I-j1lw[/YOUTUBE]

Finding Gems like Wallace in the draft isn't like going down to the grocery store and picking up some milk

Hes not all time great, but he means a lot to this offense....an offense that already struggles to put up 20

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

if we lose wallace i see either 2 things happening

cotch gets resigned to a multi-year deal

or

we draft a running back in rds 1-3, and emphasise more on a running game

best case scenario is we keep wallace and nobody else outbids us, but i don't think that'll be happening. i don't think the patriots will go after him though tbh. they have way too many holes on defense that need to be addressed. not to mention they already have welker, gronk, and hernandez. their offense really does not have a need for playmakers at wr. if anything the main thing that will make their offense downright scary is a good running back
Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set-Man View Post
We lose too many players without getting anything for them, unlike the Patriots who do a great job in racking up draft picks.
Like whom? The only player I can think of recently that we "lost" who was actually a serious contributor was Holmes who has since turned into a clubhouse cancer with the Jets.
Closed Thread