Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #101
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,676 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
MADNESS!

HOW CAN YOU RELEASE THE BEST BLOCKING WR IN THE GAME WITHOUT EVEN OFFERING HIM A CONTRACT?!

HE HAD 1,000 yards TWO YEARS AGO!

COLBERT/ROONEY IS STOOP!!!
i knew it was just a matter of time before the board assclown would post in this thread for no other reason than flaming. the only suprise is it wasnt yesterday. i guess he wasnt "bored" enough. well, theres a time and place for everything and now may be perfect to put him in his....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Oh I was doing that for the past year or so.. You know, speaking of how promising Brown was, how Hines' spot could be easily filled by Cotchery (who's better at this point in his career), and how letting him go would give us an opportunity to grab another guy in the draft who can do more than catch WR screens and block.

Welcome to reality everyone. I guess it's only OK to let go of something after the fact. But when it's practically written on the wall for everyone to see, its not cool. It's gotta happen first.
what is it you need? a ****ing cookie or pat on the back?

Desperately Seeking Cyber-attention

im sorry you werent lavished with attention as a child (or perhaps were spoiled with way too much) and are severely lacking in the amount you need now.

but good news! you have already gained the attention of 3 mods in this thread alone.

since youre next obvious move is to drop some lame homophibic slur or innuendo, perhaps i'll just wait to bring the hammer crashing down.

incase you havent noticed yet, the board has been just fine while you were away, and nobody missed your "insight" a bit. maybe you just might wanna leave it that way before the decision is made for you.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #102
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,666 Times in 1,756 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #103
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set-Man View Post
I had to say something about this (as does everybody else):

Definitely the correct move. Hines body is done - slow and ineffective. He was done mid-year. The Steelers gave him his 1000 receptions with lame bubble-screens and short throws. Would you really put Ward in for Wallace, Brown, Sanders, or Cotchery? No way.

For the people complaining that this was the wrong move, you are nuts. The Cheatriots are the way they are because they release or more smartly trade their big name players just as after they peak. They rack up draft picks and stay fresh. Rooney's almost never trade players, they release them.

I would be surprised if Hines ends up on another team because he looked so slow. Nobody is going to waste a roster spot on a "mentor". i do hope he retires but if he does not, then good luck to him.

What we should be saying is thank you and remember his numerous highlights or receptions and blocks. Absolutely the toughest receiver ever to play the game. Receivers never blocked like that before he came along. In my book he is a HOF'er but that remains to be seen.

Ok, I'm getting a little annoyed with the patriot ball washing going on here. What exactly is "the way they are"? What they are is 1 player away from being an extremely sub-par team. They have no talent on D besides mayo and maybe a declining wilfork. They have no WR depth, and their O-line is suspect against physical 4 man lines. They have a smart coach who has a well disciplined team year after year, but as far as being this personnel mastermind that some claim, he is highly overrated. That team lost whatever swagger they used to carry when they traded away seymour.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #104
steelbad@50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14816

I aint gonna lie it hurts to see Hines get released, and any fan of the Steelers will probably feel the same way. I for one wish him nothing but the best of luck for what ever the future holds for him and his family. Thanks for all the memories Hines.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #105
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,817 Posts

Some interesting thoughts by Ed.B. of the P-G

Rooney Wasn't Going to Force Another on Tomlin

But letís examine what happened between him and the Steelers, why it came to this.
There is still room on the roster for Ward. Even if they somehow keep both of their free agent wide receivers, Mike Wallace and Jerricho Cotchery. But Mike Tomlin did not want him back for whatever reasons and that was that (notice the lack of comments by the coach in the Steelers' statement on the release of Ward, only Art Rooney had anything to say about him)....

I was told by one player that the word came down from the top to try to get Ward his 1,000 catches, and the coaches did that. Someone else told me that management would have liked to see Ward back for one more season, even if it were as the No. 3 or 4 receiver, but that Tomlin stood firm that he did not want him back. After Bruce Arians was forced out in a very public manner, Art Rooney did not want to force this on the coach too.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ther-on-tomlin

If the Steelers take a step back next season IMO AJR II will have Tomlin on the hot seat
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #106
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I am literally choked up as I type this.....

Happy trails, Hines!!!!!
You will ALWAYS be a Steeler, and my favorite one. Thanks for all the great memories since 1998.

See you in Canton!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #107
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Some interesting thoughts by Ed.B. of the P-G

Rooney Wasn't Going to Force Another on Tomlin

But letís examine what happened between him and the Steelers, why it came to this.
There is still room on the roster for Ward. Even if they somehow keep both of their free agent wide receivers, Mike Wallace and Jerricho Cotchery. But Mike Tomlin did not want him back for whatever reasons and that was that (notice the lack of comments by the coach in the Steelers' statement on the release of Ward, only Art Rooney had anything to say about him)....

I was told by one player that the word came down from the top to try to get Ward his 1,000 catches, and the coaches did that. Someone else told me that management would have liked to see Ward back for one more season, even if it were as the No. 3 or 4 receiver, but that Tomlin stood firm that he did not want him back. After Bruce Arians was forced out in a very public manner, Art Rooney did not want to force this on the coach too.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ther-on-tomlin

If the Steelers take a step back next season IMO AJR II will have Tomlin on the hot seat
WOW...is he trying to make heads roll or what?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #108
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,676 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

- HIRE ARIANS!!!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #109
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
- HIRE ARIANS!!!

I will NOT allow a hire Arians thread to be stickied on this forum

Hell to the no.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #110
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

I think it was a wise move by tomlin. When your being undermined by your bosses and your supposed to be the "boss" to the players, the respect level can get away from you. I think tomlin could have been irked that he was "padding stats" and being undercut with arians departure, that this was his statement to the rooneys that they chose him to be the head coach and that's what he plans on doing. The time for being buddy buddy with the vets is over if this team wants to compete. He did what he had to do when he took over a vet-laden team but now the guard has been changed and this team is now his.

Sucks for Hines that he's out, but he should have retired gracefully into the sunset with his milestone reached.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote