Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
bac151rum
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 86
Member Number: 23791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

There are people I like better than Hightower, but they will be gone well before we pick. Just don't see anyone who can help as much as him that would be there in the 1st. If he's only a two down backer right now, and can be on the field day one for two out of three downs, thats more than we've gotten from a defensive pick in years.
My personal feeling about looking at wr's in the first is lets wait til Wallace is gone, then we can start planning for it. He's ours this year unless someone else signs him, no one with a first round grade has been claimed in ten years. I keep hearing what if....... Lets deal with what ifs when they happen.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,482
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 414
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,318 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Saw Gil Brandt saying that he sees Hightower as a high 2nd round pick. Think he will be there at 24 when we pick, but not sure if Poe, Glenn or a decent LT will be there. Could be the pick unless trade back.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Kingmagyar
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16118
Thanks: 14
Thanked 200 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Interesting interview with Nick Saban about Hightower where he mentioned his ability to play OLB in the 3-4 in pass rushing situations. Same exact size and speed as Woodley. Could be drafted for a multitude of roles even helping to replace James Harrison in a couple years.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
bac151rum
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 86
Member Number: 23791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Sometimes i wonder if Upshaw won't be the better inside linebacker from Alabama. But hecould never wear the green dot, from what I've read.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,442
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 337
Thanked 891 Times in 430 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Major flaw in your draft is addressing the loss of Wallace in the first. Even if we are to lose Wallace, Ward and Cotchery, I still don't think WR deserves more attention than OG, NT or ILB. Either trade up to get DeCastro or go Hightower and Zeitler/Osemele/etc.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,482
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 414
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,318 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Major flaw in your draft is addressing the loss of Wallace in the first. Even if we are to lose Wallace, Ward and Cotchery, I still don't think WR deserves more attention than OG, NT or ILB. Either trade up to get DeCastro or go Hightower and Zeitler/Osemele/etc.
I think trading up to get a guard would be a waste of a pick if we lost Wallace. Stay where we are and then look at something like 1a- Hightower, 1b Ta'amu, 2. Marvin Jones WR 3. Brandon Brooks OG 4. Nate Potter OT
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
Kingmagyar
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16118
Thanks: 14
Thanked 200 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Major flaw in your draft is addressing the loss of Wallace in the first. Even if we are to lose Wallace, Ward and Cotchery, I still don't think WR deserves more attention than OG, NT or ILB. Either trade up to get DeCastro or go Hightower and Zeitler/Osemele/etc.

I don't know how it is a major flaw to address a wide receiver with an extra pick in the first when your current depth chart would be:

Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders (history of stress fractures in both feet)

That to me spells desperation with a capital D. We would need to take 2 in the draft.

One of these Guards will be there in the 2nd round.

Zeitler, Osemele, Brandon Washington, Amini Silatolu and all have flaws that take them out of a first round grade anyway. At least the receiver would have a 1st round grade.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,482
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 414
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,318 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I don't know how it is a major flaw to address a wide receiver with an extra pick in the first when your current depth chart would be:

Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders (history of stress fractures in both feet)

That to me spells desperation with a capital D. We would need to take 2 in the draft.

One of these Guards will be there in the 2nd round.

Zeitler, Osemele, Brandon Washington, Amini Silatolu and all have flaws that take them out of a first round grade anyway. At least the receiver would have a 1st round grade.
I just think Stephen Hill is a gamble we dont need to take. Can draft a much more accomplished WR in round #2 with Marvin Jones from California. Also can look to Free Agency for a guy like Early Doucet, Cotchery, Eddie Royal, etc for depth.

You can go get Larry Fitzgerald and Ben cant throw it to him from his back if there is no improvement in the O line to protect him, or establish a run game to keep defenses from knowing its pass all the time.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Kingmagyar
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16118
Thanks: 14
Thanked 200 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I just think Stephen Hill is a gamble we dont need to take. Can draft a much more accomplished WR in round #2 with Marvin Jones from California. Also can look to Free Agency for a guy like Early Doucet, Cotchery, Eddie Royal, etc for depth.

You can go get Larry Fitzgerald and Ben cant throw it to him from his back if there is no improvement in the O line to protect him, or establish a run game to keep defenses from knowing its pass all the time.
I agree with you that Stephen Hill is a gamble. I am turned off a bit on Hill after hearing comments from his own fans at Georgia Tech about his inconsistency. So how would you feel about WR Kendall Wright? This guy is like a cross between Steve Smith, Hines Ward, and Santonio Homes sans the penchant for Mary Jane. Wright would be your more accomplished receiver by far.

And no doubt we need to improve and draft great to fill all those areas you mentioned, but I'm just saying if we lose Wallace and that is a big if, we can't squander a first round talent at WR and hope we hit the position with lesser guys later. We could lose Wallace as late as April 20th giving us no time and no one to find as a free agent replacement.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,482
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 414
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,318 Posts
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
but I'm just saying if we lose Wallace and that is a big if, we can't squander a first round talent at WR and hope we hit the position with lesser guys later. We could lose Wallace as late as April 20th giving us no time and no one to find as a free agent replacement.

Mike Wallace- 3rd round pick
Hines Ward- 3rd round pick
Antonio Brown- 6th round pick
Emannuel Sanders- 3rd round pick
Jerricho Cotchery--4th round pick

This is where I never understand the rationale of fans wanting to spend a 1st round pick on WR's.

So many things have to happen before a WR can ever get a chance to catch the football, yet so many teams that look for the next Steve Smith, find the next Sinorice Moss. Or the next Braylon Edwards, David Boston, Troy Edwards.....and the list goes on.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts