Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791
Default Re: Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

There are people I like better than Hightower, but they will be gone well before we pick. Just don't see anyone who can help as much as him that would be there in the 1st. If he's only a two down backer right now, and can be on the field day one for two out of three downs, thats more than we've gotten from a defensive pick in years.
My personal feeling about looking at wr's in the first is lets wait til Wallace is gone, then we can start planning for it. He's ours this year unless someone else signs him, no one with a first round grade has been claimed in ten years. I keep hearing what if....... Lets deal with what ifs when they happen.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,318 Posts

Saw Gil Brandt saying that he sees Hightower as a high 2nd round pick. Think he will be there at 24 when we pick, but not sure if Poe, Glenn or a decent LT will be there. Could be the pick unless trade back.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Interesting interview with Nick Saban about Hightower where he mentioned his ability to play OLB in the 3-4 in pass rushing situations. Same exact size and speed as Woodley. Could be drafted for a multitude of roles even helping to replace James Harrison in a couple years.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791

Sometimes i wonder if Upshaw won't be the better inside linebacker from Alabama. But hecould never wear the green dot, from what I've read.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Major flaw in your draft is addressing the loss of Wallace in the first. Even if we are to lose Wallace, Ward and Cotchery, I still don't think WR deserves more attention than OG, NT or ILB. Either trade up to get DeCastro or go Hightower and Zeitler/Osemele/etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Major flaw in your draft is addressing the loss of Wallace in the first. Even if we are to lose Wallace, Ward and Cotchery, I still don't think WR deserves more attention than OG, NT or ILB. Either trade up to get DeCastro or go Hightower and Zeitler/Osemele/etc.
I think trading up to get a guard would be a waste of a pick if we lost Wallace. Stay where we are and then look at something like 1a- Hightower, 1b Ta'amu, 2. Marvin Jones WR 3. Brandon Brooks OG 4. Nate Potter OT
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

I don't know how it is a major flaw to address a wide receiver with an extra pick in the first when your current depth chart would be:

Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders (history of stress fractures in both feet)

That to me spells desperation with a capital D. We would need to take 2 in the draft.

One of these Guards will be there in the 2nd round.

Zeitler, Osemele, Brandon Washington, Amini Silatolu and all have flaws that take them out of a first round grade anyway. At least the receiver would have a 1st round grade.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I don't know how it is a major flaw to address a wide receiver with an extra pick in the first when your current depth chart would be:

Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders (history of stress fractures in both feet)

That to me spells desperation with a capital D. We would need to take 2 in the draft.

One of these Guards will be there in the 2nd round.

Zeitler, Osemele, Brandon Washington, Amini Silatolu and all have flaws that take them out of a first round grade anyway. At least the receiver would have a 1st round grade.
I just think Stephen Hill is a gamble we dont need to take. Can draft a much more accomplished WR in round #2 with Marvin Jones from California. Also can look to Free Agency for a guy like Early Doucet, Cotchery, Eddie Royal, etc for depth.

You can go get Larry Fitzgerald and Ben cant throw it to him from his back if there is no improvement in the O line to protect him, or establish a run game to keep defenses from knowing its pass all the time.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I just think Stephen Hill is a gamble we dont need to take. Can draft a much more accomplished WR in round #2 with Marvin Jones from California. Also can look to Free Agency for a guy like Early Doucet, Cotchery, Eddie Royal, etc for depth.

You can go get Larry Fitzgerald and Ben cant throw it to him from his back if there is no improvement in the O line to protect him, or establish a run game to keep defenses from knowing its pass all the time.
I agree with you that Stephen Hill is a gamble. I am turned off a bit on Hill after hearing comments from his own fans at Georgia Tech about his inconsistency. So how would you feel about WR Kendall Wright? This guy is like a cross between Steve Smith, Hines Ward, and Santonio Homes sans the penchant for Mary Jane. Wright would be your more accomplished receiver by far.

And no doubt we need to improve and draft great to fill all those areas you mentioned, but I'm just saying if we lose Wallace and that is a big if, we can't squander a first round talent at WR and hope we hit the position with lesser guys later. We could lose Wallace as late as April 20th giving us no time and no one to find as a free agent replacement.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
but I'm just saying if we lose Wallace and that is a big if, we can't squander a first round talent at WR and hope we hit the position with lesser guys later. We could lose Wallace as late as April 20th giving us no time and no one to find as a free agent replacement.

Mike Wallace- 3rd round pick
Hines Ward- 3rd round pick
Antonio Brown- 6th round pick
Emannuel Sanders- 3rd round pick
Jerricho Cotchery--4th round pick

This is where I never understand the rationale of fans wanting to spend a 1st round pick on WR's.

So many things have to happen before a WR can ever get a chance to catch the football, yet so many teams that look for the next Steve Smith, find the next Sinorice Moss. Or the next Braylon Edwards, David Boston, Troy Edwards.....and the list goes on.