Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Stevenson Sylvester

Is all of the talk of one our pressing needs being at inside lineback an indication that the coaches do not regard Sylvester as a player that can start in the future? Obviously it's difficult for us as fans to know the full story since we have only seen glimpses of him since he's been on the team. From what I've seen, he seems active on special teams and his one start this year (against NE for Farrior) was as a part of perhaps our finest effort of the season. He must be missing something, however, if he is not mentioned as a candidate for the classic Steeler in-house replacement for a departing veteran. At any rate, whether or not we draft a young ILB, can we expect to see a Foote/Sylvester platoon next to Timmons this season, or something else?
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Stevenson Sylvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
Is all of the talk of one our pressing needs being at inside lineback an indication that the coaches do not regard Sylvester as a player that can start in the future?
Yeah.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

I really don't want to see Foote starting. I was happy the day he left and dreaded the day they re-signed him
Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
I really don't want to see Foote starting. I was happy the day he left and dreaded the day they re-signed him
indeed...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
Is all of the talk of one our pressing needs being at inside lineback an indication that the coaches do not regard Sylvester as a player that can start in the future?
jeebus dude... ....did you not hear Mikey T ? "the steelers don't have backups...they have starters in waiting" .....
it's a steeler tradition to keep "starters in waiting" on the roster, feed the fans BS about how pleased they are with their progress , until the waiting period is over and its time for them to "step up"...then they cut em... (ala tony hills)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
wyn50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8941

He will start.....soon. Foote is a short term player.
wyn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

yep
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Well if Sylvester is not the Answer then in 2010 Colbert wasted 3 picks on LB when he didn't really need to, and could have started the OL rebuilding process sooner and more robustly than just taking 1 center
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Heinz Hitman
Water Boy

Member Number: 729

I always heard that the coaching staff was really high on him his rookie season. Maybe he got lazy this past season? I know the few times I have seen him I was impressed. I would love to see him starting. I guess if we go with Hightower in the first round then we will have our answer then.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Well if Sylvester is not the Answer then in 2010 Colbert wasted 3 picks on LB when he didn't really need to, and could have started the OL rebuilding process sooner and more robustly than just taking 1 center
Yeah that could end up being very bad. Worilds wasn't even considered a 2nd round pick and raised some eyebrows. Sylvester looked awesome at Utah but here hasn't shown it.

What worried me about Sylvester and Worilds is they did not dominate in the preseason last year. When you see a guy has something they usually dominate those preseason games. If they're having trouble against 3rd stringers?
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote