Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #51
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,333 Posts
Default Re: Colon to RT

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justp94 View Post
The problem with Willie Colon is that, he isn't an elite Tackle, He's been out for the last two seasons (Basically) and should just be a back up. But, the depth at O-Line isn't steep, What the Steelers need to do is draft 3 Offensive linemen in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th rounds. And see what happens from there. I don't see Colon with the Steelers after the 2012 season.
Name an elite RT please. Jon Stinchcomb?? You dont put elite O linemen at RT. The only thing that Colon doesnt have is height and arm length going for him. He is good at RT, but I think he can be better at OG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Hey Willlie Colon something you should no real soon.

Todd Haley cut Jared Gaither in KC the day after committing a false start penalty. Considering Colon is good for one a game this could get interesting.
Yeah and then Gaither gets the game ball for the Chargers 2 weeks after that. Not a good move by Pioli and crew.

Former Kansas City Chiefs T Jared Gaither, who the team surprisingly cut two weeks ago, turned in his second strong performance in a row Sunday for the San Diego Chargers.

“I did it more for what we have done offensively,” Chargers coach Norv Turner said. “Then, when you watch the tape, he was deserving of the game ball. I don’t know where we would be if we didn’t get Gaither.”

There are a lot of people who deserve to take some crap for the Gaither disaster. Todd Haley and Bill Muir were out there watching the guy play every day so they are at the top of the list. Right behind them is Scott Pioli who actually made the personnel move.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2011/12/1...ter-being-cut/
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #52
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

People still think Colon would be a better guard than tackle based on absolutely no valid information whatsoever? When are people going to get over this already? And Colon never had any injury concerns before the previous two years, and both injuries were freak occurrences that he fully recovered from before the season was even over. Time to get over it and let him prove himself on the field. You think anybody feels worse about only playing one game in the last 2 years than Colon?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #53
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
People still think Colon would be a better guard than tackle based on absolutely no valid information whatsoever? When are people going to get over this already? And Colon never had any injury concerns before the previous two years, and both injuries were freak occurrences that he fully recovered from before the season was even over. Time to get over it and let him prove himself on the field. You think anybody feels worse about only playing one game in the last 2 years than Colon?

Just about every expert in the league thought he would be a good guard in the NFL as opposed to T... as far a the injuries..i dont care what kind of spin you put on it... call them freak injuries or whatever.. the bottom line is most people dont think its real smart going into a season with a guy coming off two season ending injuries starting at RT.. especailly a guy that was average at that spot to begin with...

I just wish the Steelers would fix this line problem for one time... we got a chance to go from average to below average to one of the best OL in football by making one small move...

Bring In Gaither.. it wont kill us or break the bank and then Draft Glenn in the first round

Gilbert Glenn Pouncey Colon Gaither Man that would kill people up front... Please my beloved Steelers fix this thing one time and lets move on... To think we are one small move and a draft pick away from having maybe the best OL in football... come on guys lets get this done :bang ing:
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #54
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

It is difficult for us as fans to judge the offensive lineman individually rather than as a unit because we have a tendency to pay attention to where the ball is going and not the trenches. However, the fact that we gave Colon a 4-year deal for solid money must mean that the organization thought highly enough of him to invest that kind of years and dollars in him. God knows the Steelers aren't too fond of overpaying to keep free agents, so they must see something there.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #55
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
It is difficult for us as fans to judge the offensive lineman individually rather than as a unit because we have a tendency to pay attention to where the ball is going and not the trenches. However, the fact that we gave Colon a 4-year deal for solid money must mean that the organization thought highly enough of him to invest that kind of years and dollars in him. God knows the Steelers aren't too fond of overpaying to keep free agents, so they must see something there.

They also gave big money to Chri Kemo when everyone I knew and chatted with all thought he sucked... as it turned out he did suck and we finally saw it... They where paying big money to kendell Simmons... then he went down and Darnell Stapleton undraft FA out played him... Simmons was cut and didnt make a team the next year.. A guy like Max Starks has to do everything but beg to come back...BEN just about gets killed on National TV so they finally bring starks back and he is pretty much the guy that saved the season for us... ( Steelers didnt see it ) We have now given big money to Colon and year after year he is either hurt or playing average to a little above average at best..

for whatever reason the Steelers under Tomlin just cant get the O line right.. seems like it may be Tomlins weak point.. Last year IMO is proof of that..

We start the season out with Chris Scott ( we hear all about how he has impressed the coaches in practice... he gets his chance and is beyond bad... so enter Tony Hills.. Tomlin in the boys tell us how great he has been looking then he gets a chance and he sucks so bad he is gone...now we are back to Foster who ended the year as the RG and played decent... but yet with no off season and only 2 weeks into practice he lost his job twice to two guys that were then cut off the team...

So Tomlin and the guys tell us how great chris Scott is but then one month later he is cut... How do you go from being a starter to cut in a few weeks... Seems to me Tomlin and the gang just have a hard time with the O line

Now WR on the other hand is Tomlins Strong suit... Look at the guys we got since hes been here... ( it makes since cause he is a former WR ) maybe we should bring in a former OL to help him find someone up front and quit over paying for these guys...

bottom line to answer your post... the steelers have gotten it wrong more then once up front when it comes to paying or rather over paying our Line
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #56
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,648 Times in 4,009 Posts

chris kemo wasnt given big money. infact he was given way below the dollar value for an above average guard.

he accepted a "hone discount" to remain with the steelers which means he accepted below market value (and the market for him wasnt that big).

when it comes to talking about huge contracts and big money, i wish fans would seperate their own net worth from the equation. this especially in the wallace threads where fans say no wr is worth 7 mil per year.

newsflash... in the nfl they are.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #57
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I'm curious where people are getting this idea that Colon is "average" or even bad. The actual statistical evidence that I've been shown says that he was one of the best in the league before going down these past two seasons. If you're going to make these claims, please back them up.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #58
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,004 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'm curious where people are getting this idea that Colon is "average" or even bad. The actual statistical evidence that I've been shown says that he was one of the best in the league before going down these past two seasons. If you're going to make these claims, please back them up.
How soon people forget, you know? He's been out of the game so long people quickly forget that when he was in, he solidified what bit of a line we had. Hopefully he's healthy and ready to get this line up to par next season...

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #59
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
chris kemo wasnt given big money. infact he was given way below the dollar value for an above average guard.

he accepted a "hone discount" to remain with the steelers which means he accepted below market value (and the market for him wasnt that big).

when it comes to talking about huge contracts and big money, i wish fans would seperate their own net worth from the equation. this especially in the wallace threads where fans say no wr is worth 7 mil per year.

newsflash... in the nfl they are.

I thought he got around 4 mil a year... maybe Im wrong I just remember thinking we should have let him walk.. To me he was never worth more then the vet Min.. so anything in the millions was over paid.. Id say watching him the past few years most would agree and now the Steelers do as well that they missed on him... He got benched for an Undrafted FA that is nothing more then a back up himself.. Thank goodness Steelers eat the crow and we can move on...

Far as colon I guess my own eyes is the facts I use.. spin it however you want guys but when a supposed washed up Adams came in you could see how much better he was.... by far you could see it.. Again Im not saying Colon is bad.. he is average and maybe a little better then average... At times he plays better then that.. but he is far from Bad... Pro bowl type player ?? far from it and thats what I would like to have protect BEN... A Probowl type guy on both sides..
Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #60
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

His contact was 5 years 20 mil... basically 4 mil a year..to me that was to much for a guy that was average guard in NFL and most teams would have cut out of camp.. Like we did this year.. Its a shame it took us a few years to see what most everyone else could tell years ago.. Kemo sucked and was a waste of time. Getting blew up in the superbowl may have cost of that game to add to insult