Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Stevenson Sylvester

Worilds did good this year, looks like he's ready to fill the role when Harrison goes. You got to be realistic about young backups, they are just that, they need more experience to become great players and when Worilds got some this year he did very well. I thought Carter did okay in place of Woodley, but we didn't see him enough to really get a good opinion, and we saw even less of Sylvester.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Worilds did good this year, looks like he's ready to fill the role when Harrison goes. You got to be realistic about young backups, they are just that, they need more experience to become great players and when Worilds got some this year he did very well. I thought Carter did okay in place of Woodley, but we didn't see him enough to really get a good opinion, and we saw even less of Sylvester.
I really wasnt impressed by Worlids. He tried to run around blocks a lot instead of taking on the blocker. I think Carter looks more explosive and will turn out to be a better OLB than Worilds.

As for Sylvester. He's a day 2 project that plays tall and might be a better OLB than ILB. I think he is purely special teams and backup in case of emergency. A cheaper Keyaron Fox.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
+1

Although the sacks may not have been there, the pressure was. I still have hopes for him as he is still young.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

That's an awful lot of money to pay a non-starter in Foote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Cpitt78
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 18674

Guys, this may come as a shocker but there are 31 other teams out there and our string of good fortune at a high level may be coming to an end for a while. That is just the way it is. You can't always find gems via later rounds and undrafted free agents. The front office is good but they are not miracle workers.

We are aging. We don't reach. We may find a few gems like Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, but certain positions are harder to fill. Big guys that have an above average mental capacity, hit hard, and run fast are not as easy to find as receivers.

One other thing we may be overlooking here is leadership at the position to help guide talent along. Hines Ward was that for many years. Jerome Bettis was that for many years. I am not sure we have many of those leaders, if any, left on this roster, that will take a young player under their wing and mentor them.

Chad-
Cpitt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpitt78 View Post
Guys, this may come as a shocker but there are 31 other teams out there and our string of good fortune at a high level may be coming to an end for a while. That is just the way it is. You can't always find gems via later rounds and undrafted free agents. The front office is good but they are not miracle workers.

We are aging. We don't reach. We may find a few gems like Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, but certain positions are harder to fill. Big guys that have an above average mental capacity, hit hard, and run fast are not as easy to find as receivers.

One other thing we may be overlooking here is leadership at the position to help guide talent along. Hines Ward was that for many years. Jerome Bettis was that for many years. I am not sure we have many of those leaders, if any, left on this roster, that will take a young player under their wing and mentor them.

Chad-
Trai Essex (3rd), Bruce Davis (3rd), Tony Hills (4th), Sepulvada (4th), Spaeth(3rd), Troy Edwards, Scott Sheilds, Alonzo Jackson, Willie Reid, Mathias Nkwenti.....were all reaches. I think we will see that Jason Worilds was a reach too.

Ben, Woodley, Clark, Pouncey and others will all show leadership, its just changing of some talent at positons, not the end of the world.

Again, I am intrigued by James Michael Johnson LB-Nevada, Tank Carder ILB -TCU and Jerry Franklin LB-Arkansas in the 3rd, if a LB is not addressed earlier. I think they can all be improvements at ILB on Foote and Sylvester.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Just because a draft pick didn't work out does not mean it was a reach. Let us also not forget that there was no offseason last year, which is highly detrimental to the growth of young players adjusting to complex schemes.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Just because a draft pick didn't work out does not mean it was a reach. Let us also not forget that there was no offseason last year, which is highly detrimental to the growth of young players adjusting to complex schemes.
Which was a big benefit to a vet Steelers team.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I really wasnt impressed by Worlids. He tried to run around blocks a lot instead of taking on the blocker. I think Carter looks more explosive and will turn out to be a better OLB than Worilds.

As for Sylvester. He's a day 2 project that plays tall and might be a better OLB than ILB. I think he is purely special teams and backup in case of emergency. A cheaper Keyaron Fox.
Key was the most intense special teams player I have ever seen and I thought he would be Harrison's successor but he was ready to step up and Harrison is still on his game. Sad but true nature of this team and the NFL as a whole. Why is it that you believe he can't play? Do you get to sit and watch team practices week in and week out? He has played maybe a total of 50 downs in the NFL, and that is over the span of 2 years. He needs consistent play time to gauge his ability. Give the guy a shot and quit flagging promising players as a bust before you see what they are capable of.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

And to add to the second statement on your last post Jackson I would like to throw Keisel's name into the mix. Great player, great attitude, and great work ethic. The kind of guy that can lead a team.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote