Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,281 Times in 628 Posts
Default Re: Morris Claiborne to the Steelers?

I never thought Id say this so soon, considering where we were last year at CB IMO

but I have to give the Steelers FO credit for sticking to their guns and getting/building a good unit last year

-Gay improved immensely and was allowed to thrive as a Nickle CB...he only ran into trouble when the coaches lined him up against burners

-Lewis, Brown, and Allen's youth and fresh legs finally let us man up an jam those Patriot Sons a B***es

-And Ike had one of his top seasons....though his Denver debacle overshadows it, but the massive injuries during that game obviously messed with every bodies heads/Chemistry...I think he'll be more deterimed then ever to whoop some ass this year

They made great strides despite our pass rush being extremely pedestrian(FFFing Injuries again) by Steeler standards

DT, ILB, OL should be our focus....and hopefully we keep wallace and don't have to worry about WR

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

If the man in charge of making that trade for the Bucs was completely out of his mind on every hallucinogenic that ever existed and God actually came down from heaven and told him to make that trade, he still wouldn't do it.

And Washington just gave up a 2nd this year and their next two #1s plus probably Mike Shanahan's soul to trade up 4 spots.

The Steelers couldn't trade up 19 spots for an extra #1.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Cpitt78
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 18674

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Lets see....we drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen last year, signed Ike Taylor long term last year and tendered Keenan Lewis who emerged last season. I think we are good at CB.

Ask the Browns how drafting "stud corner" Joe Hayden from Florida #7 overall is solving their problems.

Steelers need to get younger and better at NT, ILB, OG, OT. Why spend 2 ist round picks to upgrade position we have depth at??
Ok let me ask you this. If you knew that you could get Revis at 5 would you take him?

I get that we have serviceable corners -- and that is great, but I still think you need another lock down guy in addition to that. Teams are passing more and more these days and you cant just knock the QB out of the game the way you used to.

Also, please don't compare this franchise to the Browns. That is not even close. We have a stud QB, a blazing receiver corps, and a hall of fame safety with some amazing linebackers.

C
Cpitt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791

When you draft a corner, you have to draft for scheme as well as talent. Clayborne is a great shutdown corner in college. May be one in the NFL. But the Steelers are primarily a zone D. Almost always and totally. Drafting a corner who is a great shut down corner, even one with the tackling ability of Clairborne, would be a waste of his talents, and probably not a good fit for the team.
All last offseason we got to listen to the "where will namdi go?" drama. Arguably one of the top two cover corners in the NFL. He goes to the Eagles, primarily a zone d. And bangzoom, never heard from again.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,141 Times in 543 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

1. We don't need Morris Claiborne
2. There are a multitude of other prospects I would want to take at #5 overall over Morris Claiborne. Namely Justin Blackmon as he would likely still be there, and the only scenario this would even happen involves the loss of Mike Wallace.
3. Morris Claiborne is overrated and a one year wonder. Not that he's not a good prospect but hardly the top 5 prospect he is projected as.
4. The Bucs would never do that
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

no thank you
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

No guarantee that Claiborne is half the CB that Revis is. Remember how Revis held out just two years ago. If we drafted him what would our cap situation look like. I was wanting him in that draft and it burned me that the Jets took him, but looking back we could not afford him unless we dropped a lot of vets earlier than this past off season.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

BTW I would not give up both 1st rounders for the chance that he pans out. Take two players that you feel confidence in helping in two areas of need, ILB, NT, OG, and then Safety or CB.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpitt78 View Post
Ok let me ask you this. If you knew that you could get Revis at 5 would you take him?

I get that we have serviceable corners -- and that is great, but I still think you need another lock down guy in addition to that. Teams are passing more and more these days and you cant just knock the QB out of the game the way you used to.

Also, please don't compare this franchise to the Browns. That is not even close. We have a stud QB, a blazing receiver corps, and a hall of fame safety with some amazing linebackers.

C
OK, let me ask you this......are we using hindsight or pretending that Claiborne is Revis??

Mel Kiper's 2007 NFL draft big board (Feb 24, 2007)

6. La Ron Landry LSU Safety
17. Reggie Nelson, Florida Safety
19. Leon Hall, CB Michigan

Kiper had Leon Hall the top ranked CB in the draft then. Revis wasnt even in his top 25. So if we traded away 2 picks to move up and get a stud CB like Hall, think how much better we would be??
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

We need O LINE hep more than anything...ANYTHING
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote