Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool
Default The latest Drafttek Mock (3/11/12)

This would be a pretty solid draft if it worked out this way:

Rd.1- Donta Hightower ILB 6'4" 245 Alabama
Rd.2- Brandon Washington OG 6'3" 320 Miami (Fla)
Rd.3- Matt McCants LOT 6'6" 308 UAB
Rd.4- Nicolas Jean-Baptiste NT 6'2" 335 Baylor
Rd.5- Ladarius Green TE 6'6" 238 La. Lafayette
Rd.6- Ryan Lindley QB 6'4" 230 San Diego St.
Rd.7- Lennon Greer RB 6'0" 215 La. Tech

Of course it will be different if we lose Wallace. The only pick I really disagree with on this mock is round 7, I'd probably go with a FB, DL, or Kicker in that position.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: The latest Drafttek Mock (3/11/12)

A lot of small school guys on that list. Bill Cowher seemed to have the penchant to draft those guys but in the Tomlin era more often then not they like that instant pedigree of a big school player and I do too.

There's only 2 guys on that mock I would want and that's Hightower and Baptiste.

We may very well end up with Brandon Washington but hopefully Osemele, Zeitler, or Silatolu all rated higher fall to us in the 2nd instead.

McCants is a major project and his size would preclude him from playing anything else on the line. The Steelers would prefer a bigger size guy who can move into the G position as well as play right or left tackle. If they believe Gilbert is their left tackle for the next 10 years they wouldn't draft a pure left tackle prospect like him.

I've always liked Baptiste as a 3rd round pick and the guy is getting no pub at all and wasn't at the combine, so he could easily fall to 4 or even later. But if we like him why take a chance on losing him.

Green the TE will be gone in round 3-4 and I don't see the Steelers changing style for a smallish TE that is strictly a receiver.

I would bet my house and my child we won't be taking a QB. We believe in Troy Smith and either Byron or Charlie. Lindley is terrible anyway. 52.5% completion playing at San Diego State.

Don't know much about Creer except he would be another slow back on the roster 4.59 40 time. I really do see the Steelers picking up a fast back in this draft but it would have to be higher then 7. I like RB Isaish Pead in the 3rd.

Other then that. it's a great mock draft.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

1: Devons Still
2: Keleche Osemele
3: Dequan Menzie
4: Lucas Nix
5: Drake Dunsmore
6. Vontaze Burflict
7. Danny Hrapmann

My 2012. A little bit of a stretch but I think Burflict could fall that far due to attitude issues. Needs time to develop maturity and a 6th rounder is usually a depth/BPA pick anyway. Other than that the rest are pretty well placed on personal study of the players and projections done by several draft sites.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
1: Devons Still
2: Keleche Osemele
3: Dequan Menzie
4: Lucas Nix
5: Drake Dunsmore
6. Vontaze Burflict
7. Danny Hrapmann

My 2012. A little bit of a stretch but I think Burflict could fall that far due to attitude issues. Needs time to develop maturity and a 6th rounder is usually a depth/BPA pick anyway. Other than that the rest are pretty well placed on personal study of the players and projections done by several draft sites.
Still is a reach and a guy that we dont need, as he wont play NT, but rather would compete with Hood, Heyward, Keisel for playing time.

I like Osemele and hope he is there when we pick in the 2nd. Menzie again is not a positon of need at CB since we drafted 2 CB's last year, tendered Keenan Lewis and have Ike Taylor long term.

This draft would leave us with holes at ILB and NT, with no TE prospect selected either. I think we need to look more seriously at NT and ILB........say NO to Burfict.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Still is a reach and a guy that we dont need, as he wont play NT, but rather would compete with Hood, Heyward, Keisel for playing time.

I like Osemele and hope he is there when we pick in the 2nd. Menzie again is not a positon of need at CB since we drafted 2 CB's last year, tendered Keenan Lewis and have Ike Taylor long term.

This draft would leave us with holes at ILB and NT, with no TE prospect selected either. I think we need to look more seriously at NT and ILB........say NO to Burfict.
That was a BPA pick on Menzie and he looks very capable of NT but so does Hood. 3 versatile lineman make things easy on us. I don't understand the desperate cries for a top tier ILB especially with Timmons and Footed ready to go, and I think Sylvester is ready to get an actual try at the starting position.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
That was a BPA pick on Menzie and he looks very capable of NT but so does Hood. 3 versatile lineman make things easy on us. I don't understand the desperate cries for a top tier ILB especially with Timmons and Footed ready to go, and I think Sylvester is ready to get an actual try at the starting position.
Still is not a zero technique guy, neither is Ziggy Hood. The talk of them being long term starters at NT is silly. They are both five techniques in our defense . Do some research and you will see what a 2 gap NT should look like.

Sylvester is a special teamer and Foote is on the downhill slide of his career. The only LB on the roster fit to start inside is Timmons right now.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Still is not a zero technique guy, neither is Ziggy Hood. The talk of them being long term starters at NT is silly. They are both five techniques in our defense . Do some research and you will see what a 2 gap NT should look like.

Sylvester is a special teamer and Foote is on the downhill slide of his career. The only LB on the roster fit to start inside is Timmons right now.
Did MJD have the look of a pro back when he entered the league? Did Lambert look like a middle linebacker? Looks are deceiving. You see someone that only weighs 300 as opposed to 350. I see someone who is excellent at shedding blocks and collapsing pockets. Plays low has great leverage and has the frame to put on atleast 30 more pounds and maintain explosiveness if that'll make you happy.

Foote may be past his prime but I've felt that way about Farrior since 07. I won't dismiss Sylvester until he gets a real chance. About him being a special teamer all I have to say about that was so was Harrison.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

SlidersDevon Still, Penn State: Still struggled throughout his entire workout. His 5.05-second 40 time paled when compared to many of the top defensive tackles at the combine. Still looked stiff in drills and struggled with his balance throughout the session.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1p8krCHGj

“He had the injuries, no question were legitimate injuries. He had a torn ACL and a broken ankle. These are significant injuries. “But this year I thought he was really good. He was a major force against the run. He did a real steady job for them. He’s a big kid. He’s got rare physical ability.” Kiper said Still hasn’t “wowed anybody” throughout the pre-draft process

Still's best position might be as a "five technique" end in a 3-4 front, with the ability to move inside in some 4-3 looks or situational occasions. At 303 pounds, he probably isn't a candidate for 3-4 nose tackle, although a few clubs that don't use a traditional "space-eater" type player still have him as a possibility there. The good news for Still is that he seems to have answered any lingering physical questions about past injuries, including an ACL in 2007 and broken ankle in '08. But there remains the question of where Still, solid against the run and still quicker than most guards, will line up in the NFL. - Len Pasquarelli